Chapter 20

"Welcome home Yuzuki." A woman said standing over a stove in the kitchen stirring the stew that would be tonight's dinner. "How was school today?"

"It was the same boring things again Mama..." 512, no Yuzuki, huffed setting a bag that rattled metallically with its inwards of Kunais and shirikins down beside the legs of their wooden kitchen table. It creaked slightly against the weight but no one paid it any attention. "You and Daddy should just train me all day instead of an hour at night." She stared up into her mother's bright blue eyes, which matched Midnight's and felt that familiar twinge of jealousy. Trying to quickly remind herself that it was alright because Yuzuki had always known, she had her Mama's hair color and her Daddy's red eyes while midnight had Mama's eyes and her Daddy's pitch black hair. When any of the neighbors mentioned anything about it, they would marvel at the switched attributes that the twins possessed.

"You know we can't do that, sweetheart." Mama cleaned her hands on a towel and turned to face her daughter. "It's law that you go to a school. Midnight goes too."

"But Midnight doesn't want to be a ninja!" Yuzuki said pouting as she crossed her arms.

"That doesn't matter. All children go." Mama reached out and gently brushed a strand of hair out of Yuzuki's eyes. "But you have to go specifically in case anything happens so you can take care of Midnight."

Yuzuki exhaled heavily, "I know, I know." She paused then looked up at her mother, her red eyes glittering with unspoken fear. "But nothing's going to happen to you or Daddy right?"

Something flashed in her mothers eyes that Yuzuki couldn't place but it was gone in a split second, and she was left wondering if she only imagined it.

"Of course not!" Her mother laughed and suddenly scooped up Yuzuki spinning her around earning a chorus of excited giggles. "You're too much trouble for me to leave to Midnight all by herself!"

Yuzuki gasped for breath between laughing attacks. "I-I am not too - too much trouble!!"

"What's all the ruckus about?" A smiling man stood in the doorway that lead down the hall to the bedrooms. Behind him Midnight stood grinning peeking around to watch.

Her mother set her down and Yuzuki ran to her dad trading places with Midnight as she ran for their mom. "Mama!!" Midnight giggled her voice a few levels softer than Yuzuki's harsher sounding voice.

"My little Midnight." Their mother cooed. "Shouldn't you be in bed resting?" She shot a glance at their father who shrugged.

"Her fever had broken last time I checked and she said she feels good." He chuckled lightly and looked down and Yuzuki before scooping her up. "How was school, little fireball?"

"Good I didn't even burn anything today!!"

Daddy just threw his head back and began his laugh shook his body, almost seeming to shake the very air. "Good job little fireball!! Your chakra control must be improving." 

"I wanna go out and train now!!" Her father shot a glance at Momma and she briskly shook her head no.

"Actually, about that kiddo." He set he down and glanced at his wife seeming to take and share her strength, her stubbornness. Which he knew all too well that Yuzuki had inherited. "We have to cancel training today." He held a finger up as she went to interrupt. "Because Elder-Sama has put Mama and I on an S-rank mission and we have to leave tonight."

Yuzuki's eyes lit up and she laughed brightly. "That's amazing!!! I can't wait to tell the kids at school, they'll stop calling me a weak half blood if they know my parents were sent on a S-rank!" He swallowed thickly and glanced at his wife to see those gorgeous blue eyes of hers flash. But they knew about the kids at school already, what else would you expect from pure bred Wakana's? They were lucky they were allowed to stay in the village at all, let alone still take on missions. He watched as the love of his life whispered into their sickly daughter's ear, who in turn ran forward and took her sister's hand before they scampered off into the adjoining bedroom which all four of them had to share.