Chapter 4: Soo-won Betrays His Friends

Midori's POV

"Yona!" I yelled running through the halls. I was trying to avoid stepping on my dress while quickly rounding the corners.

My first stop was her room. I got there, announced myself, entered, and pretty much tore apart her room.

I sighed, worried, "Where could she be?" I racked my brain for any possible place for her to be.

Let's see:

• Yona's obsessed with Soo-won, but probably wouldn't be bold enough to be in his room at this time of night.

• She'd want her dad to approve–THAT'S IT!

To the king's chambers~

~~~~~~~~~

I was right. She was in her dad's room, but I was unable to get there before we ran into each other.

Literally. We ran into each other, "Yona?"

Said princess was shaking with fear as she stuttered out, "Midori? A-are you on m-my side?"

I blinked taking a hold of her shoulders, "What? Why wouldn't I be?"

Before she could say anything else, we heard a guard's voice, "Find and eliminate the princess!"

Yona and I shared a look before running off in the opposite direction of the voice.

~~~~~~~

We sat in a secluded area waiting from word from Hak, "Are you okay, Yona?"

"M-Midori," I turned to see her eyes filled with tears, and I quickly embraced her, "I–"

"If it hurts too much, you don't have to tell me."

She shook her head, "I-I have to tell somebody. S-Soo-won," she began to shake even more, "he-he killed m-my father."

My eyes had widened, and I held my best friend tighter, "King Il? Why?"

----------------------------------------------
Hak POV

As soon as Midori and I parted ways, I found a group of guards gathered in the courtyard.

I made myself known, "What's going on here?" Everyone turned, "All the guards that are supposed to be on duty right now are gathered here." I paused and made direct eye contact with Soo-won, "Where is King Il, Soo-won-sama?"

The tension in the air was rising, but Soo-won kept a straight face, "I killed him."

My eyes widened in disbelief but seeing the seriousness he expelled, I charged forward, only to be caught by the extreme amount of guards. They surrounded me and forced me to drop my weapon.

----------------------------------------------
Midori's POV

We sat in silence as we heard footsteps approaching. I held Yona as close as I could while trying to find the fan that I always keep on me for defense purposes.

I slowly pulled out my golden-colored fan and softly whispered for Yona to stay put. I got up from our spot hidden in the garden, and quickly made my way to the wall that whoever was approaching was coming to next.