Chapter 51: Down A Group Member

Yona's POV

Our group had been quite sullen for the past week.

While we had the issue of leaving the Port Awa adding to our overwhelming sadness, the biggest source of that feeling was due to the fact that we were down a group member. I guess it goes to show how much we relied on Midori - for she was always the one who we all tried to be like, whether she knew it or not.

That's why . . . that's why it was so hard to tell everyone.

~~~~A week ago - Port Awa (After Midori's departure)~~~~

It was the day that we were getting ready to leave the Port town. At the time, we hadn't known that Jae-ha would be joining us yet, but I also had yet to inform everyone of Midori's departure. She refused to say goodbye herself - she claimed that if she had to tell everything that happened, she may not end up leaving, and that would get everyone in trouble with the King.

I had been trying to work up the nerve to tell someone - anyone - that Midori was already gone, but really, all that amounted to was me pacing around the room on the boat where I had been staying. They all deserved to know, but how was I supposed to tell them?

"Tryin' to run a hole through the boat?" I abruptly stopped before turning to see Captain Gi-gan leaning through the doorway. "Honestly," she sighed before showing a small, sympathetic smile to me, "between you and Midori, I'm surprised I don't already have a hole here." I frowned at the mention of Midori, but before I could say anything, Gi-gan was quick to add, "She came and told me, you know?"

"But . . ." I frowned even deeper, "Midori said she couldn't stand to . . . to say goodbye."

A sigh was the only audible sound within the room, "That's true. Unfortunately for her, I know her well enough to be able to trap as well as convince her to tell me what was going on."

At first, I was a bit peeved that Midori - though against her will, apparently - said goodbye to Gi-gan, but then I realized the beauty of her decision: I now had someone to confide in - someone who knew and could possibly help me with telling the others. . . Though that didn't mean that I was happy to do it.

"Um, Captain?" During these past few weeks in Awa, I had begun to rely on Gi-gan as a type of mother-like figure, "How . . . how should I go about telling everyone?"

~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, I decided that staying secluded within my little hole of the boat. I also realized that keeping myself away from the others was only going to make telling them harder, so . . . I just decided that I was going to 'wing-it'.

Hak, of course, was the first to notice my presence, "Oh? Looks like Hime-san has woken up from her late slumber." With that, everyone's (in our group anyway) attention was now on me. Thanks a lot, Hak. 

I forced a small smile upon my face, but didn't say anything. 

By this point, even Jae-ha - who was very new to our group - was able to see that I was not . . . at my best at the moment, so he decided to bring that up, "Are you feeling alright, Yona-dear?" I could feel everyone's stares. The weight of their gazes were making it harder and harder for me to keep in everything I felt about Midori's current situation.

Though . . . I hesitated too long.

Yoon - the kind soul -  was concerned, but willing to set aside my answer for now . . . he knew it wasn't my wounds, as he had been treating them himself, "I'm sure it's just the winding down from the fight, yeah?" Of course, he couldn't know that what he was going to change the subject to would be worse for me to try and answer, "Anyway . . . have you seen Midori, yet?" I was almost positive that everyone had seen my very obvious flinch, but Yoon must've somehow missed it, "I have yet to see her, but I thought she might seek you out . . ." As he trails off, I seem to lose hold on my emotions.