Chapter 55: In Which Joo-doh Tries to Poison Us

Midori's POV

When morning came, I found myself still laying on Soo-won.

I must've fallen asleep after I tired myself out by crying. Usually, I'm the first up, so there really wasn't any chance that anyone would see us like that. As I tried to move, however, an arm tightened around my waist.

I sighed in annoyance, speaking within hushed whispers, "I know you're awake, Soo-won." With a sheepish smile on his face, he slowly opened his blue-green eyes to meet my golden pair. We sit and stare at each other for a few seconds before I speak up, "So . . . are you going to . . . y'know . . . let me go?"

He suddenly became serious, "Are you okay?"

"What . . ?" My laugh was forced as I tried to get away from him without raising too many of his suspicions, "Why wouldn't I - ?"

"Midori," I look away from him, but he continues softly, "I know I didn't imagine you crying last night."

Letting my shoulders slump, I spoke in a hushed, bitter tone, "Unfortunately . . ."

His hand found its way into my hair, and he softly petted it, "It isn't something to be ashamed of - showing emotion, I mean." I stayed silent, and he tried to give me some advice, "Midori, you shouldn't keep everything to yourself, shouldn't keep it bottled up."

"I . . . I don't really want to talk about it . . ."

His grip around my waist loosened, and he spoke softly, "I understand. Truly, I do." I begin to stand, but am quickly stopped as he grabs my hand, "If you ever need someone to talk to, about anything . . ."

I nod stiffly, "I know. . . Thanks, Soo-won."

~~~~~~

Despite everything that occurred in the morning, I would like to say that our trip wasn't the most awkward thing that I've recently experienced.

And considering I found myself asleep with the King . . . I'd say that things were pretty good.

Now, we were sat atop our horses(I was still riding with Soo-won) actually on our way towards the Wind Tribe's Capital, Fuuga. I sat quietly, observing the nature around us with a content smile upon my face.

There was some sort of conversation going on, but I was tuning it out - favoring looking at the summer scenery. I began to happily hum to myself as we advanced on our way towards our destination.

Not too long after, however, I was suddenly forced into the conversation, " - Isn't that right, Midori-sama?"

Snapping out of my mindless daydream, I turn to face General Joo-doh, my confusion covering my features, "What?" Of course, there seemed to be an inside joke because almost immediately after I asked for clarification, our entire party - including the god-forsaken King sitting behind me - bursted out into joyful laughter. 

You see, I was confused as I hadn't been paying attention, but Joo-doh, he wasn't really happy that I wasn't listening . . . apparently. . .

As our laughter died down, everyone seemed to relax a little bit - even Joo-doh. We made small talk and continued on our merry way. The further along we got, the less and less I found that I hated the trip. It actually seemed as though I was enjoying myself.

~~~~~~~~~

As the sun began to set, we pulled off the main road to set up camp.

Somewhere between the days that we had been traveling, I had managed to convince everyone to let me do something around camp, so I was happily gathering sticks to light a fire. Not the most riveting job - I know - but it was better than nothing. As I lifted the bundle of sticks into my arms, I glance around the clearing I was standing in.

I found I was happy, but I . . . I couldn't help but feel guilty about everything. I was still unable to remember most of these people. How was I going to react to people I should know really well?

I shook my head. The king has already seen me at one of my lowest moments - I can't afford any more . . . especially in front of people. . . 

As I turned to head back to camp, I plastered a fake smile across my face, "Things could be worse."

~~~~~~~~~

"Why does Joo-doh look like he's going to cook tonight's meal?"

As the words left my mouth, everyone turned to see me arrive. While the general wasn't the happiest about my comment, the other three - the king and the other two guards - looked at me with pleading eyes.

Generally speaking, the two guards traded off on cooking duty when we didn't stop in a village. They weren't the best of cooks, but compared to Joo-doh, they were 'head chef' level. Why I was never asked to cook was beyond me, but I could see now that if we wanted eatable food for dinner, I was going to have to take over . . . immediately.

I sighed before walking over to Joo-doh, slightly pushing him away from the pot that was resting over the already-started fire, "What in the world are you trying to make?"

"S . . . Soup?"

Rolling my eyes, "You really don't sound too sure of yourself, general." I laughed slightly before picking up the pot and adding in certain spices and meat - anything that could kill whatever taste this 'meal' had gained already. As I began stirring the concoction, I look up poking fun at Joo-doh, "What were we talking about before Joo-doh tried to poison all of us?"

I added a stick to the fire, looking up to meet everyone's gazes.

Seeing as no one was answering, Joo-doh spoke gruffly, "We were wondering if you were planning to come back to court." I blinked.

I hadn't thought of what I was planning to do. Surely I'd find something in Fuuga, but I wasn't sure how much I could go back to doing without my memory. . . And with everything that was happening with the royal family . . . I wasn't sure what to believe. . .

Seeing that the tension needed to be broken, Soo-won spoke with a fake-laughter, "You don't have to decide ye - "

"Not for a little while," I spoke confidently. Looking around at everyone, I continued, "If I were to go back now . . . well, I . . . I don't think that I will be able to . . . to do the job I am supposed to." I shrugged, "I guess if I was needed for something simple," I could feel a gaze on me, but didn't look to find its source, "then I may be able to do whatever it is. But I'd like some time back home . . . where I can try to find myself again."

________________________________________________________________________________

Hello, everyone!

I really wanted to update recently, but I just couldn't figure out how I wanted to present this chapter. Also, the last week has basically been a test week for me, but I have survived my first round of testing.

I think I am finally done with the traveling arc of this story (to Fuuga anyway), so I will be able to work on giving back some of Midori's memories that she has of the Wind Tribe.

I'm sure some of y'all don't quite like the fact that there isn't much about Yona and the group. I just wanted to let everyone know that I really am not too sure on how to write them. It's one thing to have your OC with them - so that we can show character growth through those interactions - but it is completely something else to have to be writing every chapter from scratch, especially with 'side characters' that don't get too much development.

Sorry about the rant! I really just needed to get it out.

Anyway, I hope y'all are having a good fall, and I hope you enjoyed this chapter!

Thanks, 

~Ashley