Chapter 50: Being Blushing Messes Together

Midori's POV

After spending the rest of the week fine-tuning the details of the festival, it was finally time to put our plan into action.

There was many lively noises coming from all around Chi'shin - from the festival music to the chatter of the village folk. The air surrounding the city was delightful, and I was very happy to see the carefree nature of the children - all of whom wore their hair the way the General did. I was smiling happily as I approached the King's tent, holding the fine-made jewelry that he needed to wear during the mock fight.

Humming to myself, I announced my presence, "Your Majesty?! It's Midori!"

After receiving the 'okay' to come in, I entered the spacious tent. I looked around the room to find a table with a few chairs as well as the dunce of a King that found himself tangled up in his 'cape'. The last sight was really a sight to behold, as I wasn't aware one could get so tangled up within a piece of fabric.

"Midori~!" Of course, he caught me snickering at the sight, so I don't think he was happy to be caught. Ever since I explained to Yun-ho that I thought she could help with festival outfits, Soo-won and I seem to have come to an understanding . . . well, maybe, since he hasn't tried anything else to confuse me . . .

Did anything keep me from continuing to laugh at my current sovereign? Nope, "Do you . . . Do you need some help?" He gave me a defeated look before affirming that he did indeed need help. I laughed some more before making my way over to him, setting the jewelry on the table as I passed, "Who would've thought - the King of Kouka, defeated by a piece of fabric?" He puffed out his cheeks at the comment, and I somehow managed to get him untangled from the mass of fabric without either of us falling, "There you go." I helped straighten his clothing, before turning to get the jewelry.

I could hear the clothes rustling behind me, but I wasn't expecting for the King to make his way over to me, "Thank you, Midori." I 'hmm'ed but continued to try to separate the different articles of jewels. There was soft chuckling from Soo-won, "That's a lot of jewelry."

Finally finding the bottom piece - an arc shaped golden piece with a blue circular gem attached that had some rectangular gold pieces dangling from the bottom, "I warned you when I went with Yun-ho to pick up the pieces." I confusedly held up the piece to him, "Did you want help putting it on? Or . . ."

Soo-won smiled before turning, so that I would be able to see the clasp, "Please." I rolled my eyes, but the smile on my face was still present. I fiddled around with the pile of jewelry before finding the next piece I wanted. By then, the King decided to speak up again, "You seem really happy this morning." There was a chuckle before he continued, "Even though you let yourself be at the mercy of Yun-ho again this morning."

I too let out a laugh, and responded happily, placing another necklace around his neck, "I figure enough people will be dressed up, so at least I won't be alone. And besides . . ." I looped the final necklace around his neck - this one made purely of the stones from the mines, "I've always loved festivals . . . it was one of the many reasons that I was willing to take part in the festival planning." Stepping back from him, I spoke, "Okay. There aren't anymore necklaces."

Soo-won turned to see me filtering through what was left of the things that Yun-ho gave me, "Well . . ." I glanced up and over to the King - so much for not doing anything to confuse me, "There is another necklace."

"Oh?" I straightened up, turning towards Soo-won.

The man was a blushing mess, but still managed to retrieve something from his sleeve, "I thought . . . thought that since most of us were wearing the gems, um. . . I thought you'd . . . uh, like one?" He approached me with the necklace before taking my hand and placing it in my palm. I slowly uncurled my fingers from around the necklace to see a simple but elegant stone pendant. It was blue in color and shaped into a small orb, "I . . . It reminded me . . . of you."

At this point, I was almost for certain that I was also a blushing mess - therefore concluding that we were being a big blushing mess together.

Smiling softly, I slipped the chain over my neck, "Th . . . Thanks, Soo-won."

If you thought we had lapsed into a calm, comfortable silence, you would be sorely mistaken. Rather, the fact that we ended up in silence just boosted up the level of awkwardness to a whole new spectrum. 

And like any issue that I feel I can't face, I did as I normally would: excused myself and proceeded to run away from my problems.

~~~~~~~~

Rather than face my problems, I decided to immerse myself within the fun of the festival. I quickly found Yun-ho, and I joined her and Chul as everyone was getting ready for the mock battle. The rules had already been explained, but as Soo-won and I planned the festival, I knew them by heart.

Chul was happily providing commentary for the match and was getting really into it as he introduced the teams, "From the East Gate: We have roaring flames, the color of justice! Commanding the Red Army, Our Hero, Lord Geun-tae!" I snickered - it really was a good decision to ask Chul if he would be willing to commentate. "From the West Gate: We have an angel who has swept down from the beautiful heavens!" I really was doing my best to keep my laughter under control, but it was becoming more and more difficult as time passed, "Commanding the White Army, His Majesty, Soo-won of the Sky Tribe!"

I was really elated to see that the public really wasn't aware that the King was here. Elated because that made this whole situation even more comical than it already was.

Chul stopped announcing for a minute before speaking out loud, "Lord Geun-tae looks like he's thinking really hard about something . . ."

"Hm?" I met Chul's questioning gaze before turning my own across the field to catch a look at what Chul was talking about, "I bet you anything that Lord Geun-tae is totally underestimating His Majesty."

"Is that so?" As we turned our attention to the starting of the match, I found myself clutching onto the little circular pendant that was hanging from my neck.

________________________________________________________________________________

So this chapter is a little shorter, but I think it is still good.

Establishing some things. I really hope I can get us out of the Earth Tribe soon. I like it, but I want to advance the story soon . . . so maybe I'll try to wrap up this arc. 

ANYWAY, I want to thank Y'all for reading. I'm sure like I sound like a broken record by now, but just know that I'm updating this as much for you as I am for me. 

I also hope you keep an open mind when it comes to story arcs. I am trying to write back Midori's memories, but I can't do it all immediately. That's not the way that I want to write it because if it was . . . I wouldn't have written the memory loss in anyway. I'm sure its slightly frustrating when you know more than the main character does, but it had to happen.

 I ALSO want you to know that I'm not too sure when I'll have Midori meet up with the main group again. Maybe I can try to do a chapter on what they're going through with reference to Midori being gone . . . (I really probably should do that. . . though I've got to figure out what they will being doing during the other side of the story)

Okay, Question: Do people read these?

-Even if they don't, it makes me feel better to give you a reasoning (sort of) for what I'm doing. Also, since I reread my chapters - since I don't update often enough to remember everything - it helps me plan future chapters.

Yes, I did provide an answer to my question.

Hope everyone's having a good summer!!!

~Ashley