Chapter 66: To the Battlefield We Go

Midori's POV

"Ara, it looks like the Sky Tribe has started without us," I whine playfully atop my mount.

I was positioned beside General Geun-tae as we came upon the Fire Tribe and Sen Province from behind. We smirked at our astounded enemies - more likely than not, General Soo-jin hadn't planned on Geun-tae showing up along with the Earth Tribe to assist the Sky Tribe.

His mistake.

"Well," I hadn't thought that the Earth General's smirk could get any wider, but as the words left his mouth, I was proven incorrect, "it's been a while since we've had a battle." There was an excited glint in his eye as he shouted to the forces behind us, "STORM THE ENEMIES TO YOUR HEART'S CONTENT!"

I chuckled darkly as I followed Geun-tae into the back of the Fire Tribe's troops, " . . . You got them all riled up." I rose my spear and prepared to defend myself.

As we rode through the lines of the Fire Tribe, I began to get recognized quickly. And by that, I mean that there were quite a few of the Fire Tribe troops who thought better than engage me in battle.

"Midori!" I glance over to General Geun-tae as he called out orders to me, "Go assist the Sky Tribe! We've got this! We'll be right behind you!"

I nod, "Got it!"

~~~~~~~~

Apparently, there were more ambitious Fire Tribe members near the front lines. I grunt before slicing one such soldier. He apparently thought it was a good idea to attack the Sky Tribe's General.

"You've got to watch your back, General Joo-doh," I teased. "I know that you just wanted me to save you, but now's not the best place."

Joo-doh scoffed, rolling his eyes at me, "Nice of you to finally show up, Midori-sama."

It wasn't long before word began to travel throughout our forces that I was here. Apparently, it was a very good thing - for morale - that I showed up to this fight. Who knew that there were so many of the imperial army that would be swayed so drastically from the presence of a court lady on the battlefield?

As we were cutting down a portion of the opposition, the Earth General decided to make his entrance, knocking a calvary soldier clean off of his horse, "To think that I would see your twin-sword technique on the battlefield again, Joo-doh." He snorted, "And I had seen examples of your abilities, Lady, but I must say, I'm impressed."

I rolled my eyes, "Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

"Hmph," Joo-doh wasn't really catching a break between Geun-tae and I, "your pretentiousness is showing, Geun-tae."

Geun-tae's response was almost sounding carefree, considering we were in the middle of a battlefield, "Really?" As if the universe was trying to prove our point, Geun-tae just stuck his fist out, knocking out another Fire Tribe member, "It was more flashy back then, though."

It was as if every interaction between the two generals had to result in some sort of insult. 

This time, it came from the Sky general, "Your tribe is loud, like always."

"And what's this?!" So, of course, Geun-tae couldn't leave that alone, "That's one funny looking tiger-horse you have!"

I sighed, slashing another enemy as Joo-doh reacted, "Shut up! I didn't even want to make my cherished  horse wear this stinky hide!"

Looks like the universe wanted to prove me right . . . again. . .

Seeing as this didn't seem to be ending very soon, I spoke up, nonchalantly, "It was probably His Majesty's plan. It probably provided quite the illusion for our opposition."