Chapter 43: First Time in Chi'Shin

Midori's POV

Surprisingly, I was seated at the same table as the King and his Generals. I don't really care where the others went though - I apparently hadn't known them.

I also had a cup of tea that I was drinking from, "Wow!" I glanced over to my left, as Soo-won had his outburst. I was sitting to his right, Joo-doh to his left, and Geun-tae straight across, "This tea has a very good aroma."

Geun-tae's face lit up at the King's complement, "It's tea that was taken from my wife's plantation that she takes so much pride in." Ah, that's cute, I thought as I looked down into my flower-scented tea with a small smile on my face, He takes so much pride in his wife's work. "I don't like it too much because I think the scent is too strong though. My wife invents things as a hobby, so please excuse the weird flavor as well."

"Is that so?" Soo-won spoke with enthusiasm, but tried to discretely glance over to me. I say discretely because I caught him, raising an eyebrow and with a smirk, causing him to look away quickly to the General in front of him, a red tinge visible, "I like it!" I assumed he was a bit embarrassed to be caught, so he turned to Joo-doh, "Right, General Joo-doh?"

A frown was on said General's face, as he spoke up, "I don't have any particular complaint about the tea's flavor, but Geun-tae . . . " I let out a small sigh, catching only the King's attention. He let it go, though, as Joo-doh finished talking, "How could you even for an instant serve the tea your wife failed in making to the King?"

A frown now graced Geun-tae's features as well, "Huh?"

Trying to diffuse the situation - at least a little bit - I spoke genuinely, "Well, I for one think that this tea is wonderful." Geun-tae smiled at that, "I'd think it'd be more a success than a failure."

"Thank you, Lady Midori," I slightly flinched, but otherwise kept a smile on my face. "And as the Lady said - Joo-doh - it's not like anyone said it was a failure. You're a stiff man as usual." Ah, this man really wanted to fight, but at least I got to complement his wife - as she was really good at what she did, "It's because you furrow your brow like that all the time . . . that you can't even get a woman to serve you tea."

"You Bastard!"

The look of pure glee at winding Joo-doh up was painfully obvious on Geun-tae's face, "Oh, you wanna go?" I was having a hard time containing my laughter at Joo-doh's pure rage, so I took to sipping on my tea while trying - and failing - to keep back a smile, "Hey Chul," he spoke to his ward, "bring my sword."

"You just want to fight, don't you?" I was snickering softly as my thoughts from earlier were confirmed.

Of course, we couldn't have our visit cause a fight, so the King swooped in to save the day, "General Geun-tae!"

I glanced over to Soo-won, he had dropped his childish demeanor for a moment, and it caused the General in question to stop in surprise, "Wha-What?"

 . . . It had been a solid five seconds of tension before the King reverted back to his previous personality, "It was delicious!" The complete 180 and back must've done a number on Geun-tae as he began to sag as Soo-won finished, "Please let me see the plantation later."

I finished off my tea with a smile as I glanced between Joo-doh and Soo-won as the later began his lecture for the day, "It is because of your absentmindedness that you're not taken seriously! Show more dignity and awareness as a King!"

I met Geun-tae's gaze as Soo-won answered, "Okay, okay."

He raised an eye brow, but I just shook my head and smiled - this kind of interaction was so nostalgic, I really didn't know how to react.