Chapter 33: Bro-Bonding and Some Flashbacks

I figure I may as well try to give Hak some redeeming qualities. . . . since he was so mean to Midori

Hak's POV

It was nightfall, a day and a half since those three went to infiltrate and I . . . scared Midori. I had been watching the water any chance I got - I felt as if it was the only way to atone for the fallout between Midori and I.

"Hak," Jae-ha had come up behind me, "Rest for a little bit. You've been staring off into the distance since yesterday, haven't you?"

I scoffed, still not turning to look at him, "This is how I sleep. Tell that to White Snake."

He made a noise of confusion before turning to see the snake jumping around and running low on sleep.

Jae-ha came up beside me as we looked over to Kija, "He sometimes nods off and then he'll jump up and attack in the air."

A seemingly carefree smirk was left upon Jae-ha's face as he spoke, "Kija's going to ruin his pretty face."

"Ryokuryuu," apparently we were having a party, as Shin-ah soon joined the two of us, "you have bags . . . under your eyes."

The pirate with the power of the dragon jumped in shock, "C-Could you not mutter that from behind?!"

Shin-ah was insistent though, and leaned forward whilst speaking, "Ryokuryuu . . . hasn't slept either."

Jae-ha's POV

Now, what Seiryuu is saying is true, but there was no way I was going to tell him that, "Me? No way," I put on a smirk, trying to be as nonchalant as possible, "I've eaten and slept well. I even fooled around with some girls . . ."

I was hoping that was all I had to say to get them off my back, but, alas, that was not the case. Heh, I guess they were as stubborn as Midori was saying.

~~~~~

It was just after she arrived back to the boat on the first day. She hung out around much of the crew, tying off the sails and tying knots - as if she hadn't spent the last 10 or so years away from all of us.

Now, we - just like old times - were sitting atop one of the booms (the horizontal poles connected to the mast and what the sails hung from) and just catching up on things that had happened.

"Not too long after leaving Awa, I ran into an old man - the elder of the Wind Tribe," she spoke, her melodic voice filled with such nostalgia and happiness, "and he adopted me."

My eyes had widened at the luck that she had, "That's amazing! So, you just grew up there?"

"Mostly," she said with a charming smile, "There was another boy who Gramps had adopted. We were the same age, and he had been visiting the castle with Gramps whenever possible, so I began to make those trips as well. I grew up around the princess and her cousin with my adoptive brother, Hak." Her eyes lit up as she mentioned, "He was actually the person who helped you take down that guard and save that woman today!"

My eyes widened, "Wow, and. . . if you don't mind my asking, why did you come back? I figured that Awa would harbor some dark memories for you."

She became slightly bashful at that question, messing with her hands, "Well, Awa does leave me with some very bad memories, but there are good ones as well. Though, that doesn't really answer your question. . . I guess, well . . . I'm traveling with my brother and the princess - and a few others. The reason we were lead here . . . may have something to do with your unique abilities."

My face dropped, I didn't want anything to do with the dragons if that was what she was alluding to, "Midori -"

"I know," she spoke softly, "but there was no use in me arguing. The people I've been traveling with are very headstrong - good luck arguing with them."

~~~~~~~

Kija yelled out, "There are bags under your eyes!"

I rolled my eyes before restating my lie, "I told you, I was out with some girls."

But, of course, Seiryuu had to say something, "Ryokuryuu's . . . been on lookout duty since yesterday."

Kija then thought to shout out at me, "You're unbearably worried about her too, aren't you?"

Now, I know he was alluding to Yona - and yes, I was worried for her - but in reality, I was more worried for Midori. There was no telling what those goons would do to her if she was found out - she wasn't in the best shape after the last mission she did like this.

~~~~~~~

At the time, I was about 12, new to the crew - just like Midori. Five-year-old Midori. Who was now stuck within her own personal Hellhole, again.

I had yelled at Captain earlier - as well as much of the crew. I didn't like that we couldn't go get Midori, at the time, I didn't understand the costs. I did, however, want to get her back out, so I branched out. 

I knew I was risking the chance of loosing what freedom I had acquired up until then, but I knew then and there that I was willing to do so as long as Midori got free. 

I had exploded into Kumuji's lair one night. No subtlety in the slightest.

I found her - battered and bruised. She had been covered in blood of her own and there were many open lacerations on her back that seemed to be from a whip of some sort. Then and there, I was glad that I was risking everything to get her out. She wouldn't have lasted much longer otherwise (that was also the excuse I used later with Gi-gan).

I managed to wake her and get her out of the building with little resistance. The real battle took place not too far from the outskirts of Awa. That was where I had last saw her, as I told her to run and find her reason to live, away from the treacherous port town of Awa.

I also had a lot of explaining to do when I was finally able to reach Gi-gan and the pirates again.

~~~~~~

"So what?" I snapped back sharply, "Of course I'm worried for Yona and Midori - they're girls!"

Kija smiled down at me, "Don't let Midori hear you say that - I learned that the hard way." He then closed his eyes for a brief moment then met my eyes again, "And any sort of motivation will do. So long as you feel the way I do, that alone is enough for me to have your back as we fight."

My eyes had widened in surprise, then I looked down, shrouding my eyes with my bangs, ". . . Do as you like." Trying to turn the conversation away from me, I continue, "But shouldn't you be worried about that kid? Look, that cute kid talked a lot . .  the one called Yoon . . . he doesn't look strong either, I think he's in danger too."

Of course, these brawny guys had no idea what those three were in for, and seemed to have overwhelming confidence, "He'll be fine." 

Kija followed Hak by affirming with a, "Yep, even though Yoon is younger, he is wise and a hard worker. Sometimes I must remember to pay my respects to him."

Hak then spoke up again, "You don't have to worry too much about Midori, either. She's strong, she trained alongside me and quite possibly surpasses me in tactical ability."

I smiled sadly before stating softly, "But you don't know what these guys will do to her. . ."

________________________________________________________________________________

Well, I had fully intended for me to write a lot about Hak in his point of view, but I find that apparently it is so much easier to write in Jae-ha's POV. 

The good thing about this is that I have now written a bit about Jae-ha and Midori - some old memories and such, as well as getting some bonding moments between the dragons and Hak . . .

Also, a lot less heavy than that last chapter.

I am posting twice because somehow I busted out 1300 words pretty easily and I feel guilty leaving y'all on that last chapter . . . let's see if I can do it again!

Anyway, I hope y'all like this one, no Midori, but she's suffering and I needed to breathe. 

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!

~Ashley

Those of Us Aloneजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें