Chapter 20: Awkward Sibling. . . Stuff?

Midori's POV

. . .

We stared at each other, frozen in surprise. Well, it was surprise for me.

"H-hi?" I mutter awkwardly.
.
.
.
". . . . Hello. . ." I must've shown some of my surprise at him answering because he looked away slightly.
.
.
.
.
Awkward stares all around.
.
.
.
"Um," I spoke trying to alleviate the awkwardness, "I'm Midori."
.
.
.
I got a slow, awkward nod from my–uh–companion. "A-and you are?"
.
.
.
Oh. My. Gosh. This guy is TOTALLY awkward, ". . . Seiryuu. . ."

"Eh?" Maybe he likes his title like hakuryuu? "Yes, me too, but. . . Um. . . What's your name?" I wouldn't make the same mistakes I made with Kija.
.
.
.
.
This guy is destroying my confidence. I mean, come on–Say something!
.
.
.
.
"Seiryuu. . ." I blinked. Why? Why is he–?

Oh–"That–that isn't what you go by. . . Right?" We stared back at one another, my gaze getting slightly more concerned as the silence dragged on, "You have. . . a name. . . r-right?" I began to slightly tear up. As he shook his head in a 'no' gesture, I look down and mutter, ". . . Monsters. . ."

Silence passed through the cavern in which we sat. Well, silence and my soft whimpering (this is due to the mistreatment of my bro–I wonder if he knows we're related–and due to my ankle which is now pulsating).

I feel an awkward pat on my head. I look up to see my masked brother trying his best to comfort me, ". . . Don't cry. . . We should. . . be happy we. . . found each other. . . Nee-san?"

I stared in shock for a moment; I then threw my arms around my blood-relative who seemed shocked by my sudden show of affection, "D-don't worry, Nii." He slowly made his way to wrapping his arms around my back, "We'll think of a name." I pull back, "We-we don't have to stay here. I-I've made some good friends–they're with me here. . . Somewhere. . . B-but you won't have to deal with this–" I gestured to his poor accommodations (I mean I've stayed in a few odd places, but a cave? And where does he get his food?).

I must've gotten excited because I tried to stand (when I clearly couldn't, might I add), and then I collapsed with my brother catching me just before I completely hit the ground, ". . . C-careful. . ."

"Ah hahaha~" I giggled, embarrassed with a very red blush. I sat against the wall and sat next to Seiryuu, "H-how was life h-here?"
.
.
.
.
Aw, no! Don't revert back into the awkward shell!
.
.
.
". . . Lonely. . ." I froze. What did I expect? I was lonely and scared. What difference would there be? ". . . Ao. . ." I looked up, surprised he was still speaking, "took care. . . of me. But. . . he. . . d-died when. . . when I was four."

I was at a loss for words, "I. . . I'm sorry. . . I shouldn't have pried." Another awkward pat to the head. I sheepishly laughed, "That's becoming a thing, isn't it?" His lips twitched slightly upward, any normal person (not me) would have missed it. He looked as though he wanted to ask me something, "What is it? You can ask, ya' know. I did the same to you."

He nodded awkwardly, "How. . . was life where. . . you grew up. . .?"

I paused. What was I going to say? I really shouldn't tell him everything unless I'm ready to tell Hak (which I'm not)–he deserves to know as much as Seiryuu-nii, "My. . . first years–until I was about nine–I didn't have the best life. . . I'd rather not recall right now. . . I'll tell you later–just not yet, I'm not—Anyway! I was taken in by the Wind tribe's general, Mundok, and he raised me lovingly alongside his adopted grandson–the guy I also call my brother, Hak. We picked up another sickly kid, who is my cute, younger brother, Tae-yon." I could see that my newfound brother was entranced in my story. I was a little afraid he'd be jealous, but I guess not, "From then, I began to travel to the castle where I met my friend, Yona, and–well. . . my other friend as well. . . Soo-won. . . Hak would be mad if he knew I still thought of that guy as my friend. . . Heh. . ."

Awkward pat counter: 3

"Thanks. . . I just," I paused, leaning onto Seiryuu's shoulder while a wave of nostalgia washed over me, "I then worked at the palace until we were forced to flee a few months ago."

Awkward pat counter: 4

I laughed softly, "I know, I know. Not as interesting as the cave life, but I like the sun."

I looked over to my brother and reached for his mask. He shied away from me at first, forcing me to turn completely towards him. After a few seconds, he leaned towards my open hands that had been reaching for the mask as if giving permission for the unspoken question I had posed.

I softly gripped the wooden mask, as I figured it was something that meant a lot to him, and slid the animal-skull shape off of his face so I could see what my brother actually looked like, "I think. . . I think you'll like the sun too."
___________________________
Guys. Guys.

I don't know if you're feeling what I'm feeling from writing this, but that was sooooooo cute~!

It turned out so much better than I had anticipated.

Also I got tagged in a thing by
Shika_Hatake
^They rock.

Just so y'all know 'cause I do t think I've ever told you:

I think that those of you who read my books, take the time to vote or comment, even sending me private messages so that I'll update (You have no idea. . . BUT it IS good insensitive for me. . .)–If you guys have done any of that—even reading my author's notes at the end (which is usually me complaining)—You guys are ALL my friends.

And if you need ANYTHING, be sure to message me. (I'd much rather talk to you guys than do what I should actually be doing most of the time :3)
                                    ^
That smiley face in the parentheses looks like it has a mustache.

Off track!

Anyway~ Happy reading guys! I'll try to remember to name the chapters 😅

~Ashley