Chapter 42 - alternate last scene between Draco & Emma

This one shot is an alternate ending ( last scene - chapter 42 ) for my story, "It's hard to explain, but . . . "  The original ending is sufficient, in as far as it stays true to the PG-13 rating . . . this alternative scene does not!!!  It's rated R.   Just fair warning . . . if you like the other scene as it stands, don't read this.  It will not change the story, but will give a deeper meaning to future twists in the plot. Otherwise, enjoy!

That said, I must apologize to Miss Emma Watson . . . I'm sure she is a lovely young woman  and I am not trying to cast a bad light on her personal life.  THIS IS A FICTIONAL STORY AND NO NEGATIVE INFERENCES WERE MEANT OR INTENDED ABOUT MISS WATSON.  ( although, if she ever DOES see this, I hope she's pleased with how I handled the situation. )

Besides, in this story, she's 23 and Draco's 32, that makes them consenting adults!  Deal with it!

                                 Chapter 42 - last scene - w/alternate ending

As she walked slowly down the stone stairs Emma scanned the Gryffindor Common Room, trying to see if anyone was there.  The only light was from the flickering flames in the huge stone fireplace.  She reached the bottom step and then spotted him, sitting in an armchair angled toward the hearthside window.  Emma realized she'd been holding her breath and when she let it out in a sigh, Draco heard the sound, turned his head and saw her. 

He stood and walked over, stopping right in front of her.  Draco took Emma's face in his hands, looking at her intensely, seemingly trying to memorize the moment and then slowly lowered his lips to hers, giving her a chance to draw back, if she didn't feel comfortable with his boldness.

Emma felt a chill run down her spine as Draco's hands gently cradled her cheeks. 'Oh my sweet Lord, we're really doing this!' she thought, as his lips touched hers.  She hesitated for just a fraction of a second and then returned the pressure his lips were putting on hers.  As the kiss lengthened and deepened, Emma's arms found their way around Draco's chest, as his followed suit, encircling her body, pulling her closer.

Finally, after Merlin only knows how long, they both came up for air, just holding each other, trying to catch their breath and slow their pulse rates.  Draco recovered first and pulled back to look down into Emma's eyes.

"I hope I wasn't too . . . impulsive . . . just grabbing you and kissing you like that," he whispered.

"You did not grab me, Draco . . . and it was . . . well, I put my arms around you to keep my knees from giving out," she admitted, burying her head in his chest.

Reaching down, he lifted her chin, smiling.  "I do have that effect on women."

"Draco!" She smacked his chest, but giggled. "Well, it wasn't as if I didn't know your reputation . . . I had been warned."

Draco suddenly looked stricken.  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you're just another . . . I didn't kiss you to . . .  it's just . . . "

Emma put her finger on his lips to shut him up, even as she took his hand and led him over to the sofa. "Sit!" She pointed and Draco did as he was told.  " 'Silencing spell', please, just in case someone heads for the loo."

Draco pulled out his wand and waved it in a circle over his head.  "We can hear, but no-one can hear us."

"Good."  She sat down, facing him, leg tucked under her. "We don't want anybody coming to my 'rescue' if we get into an argument."

"Argument?  Why should we argue?" Draco asked, truly surprised at Emma's words.

"You might not like some of what I'm going to say, but we'll see. So, when you showed up at Dan's."  Emma looked thoughtful and then shrugged. "Whenever that was, I've totally lost track of time."  She waved her hand, dismissing that train of thought.  "Anyway, you were this age, married, but still flirting with me, I surmised, as proof you'd changed.  That was fine, because I had always liked you, as a character in the books and movies. Then, when I found out you were a real, live person, I was so glad your life had turned out the way it had."