Chapter 17

Chapter 17: The night before the morning after.

"I've been meaning to re-do this room, but just didn't have the incentive." Sirius stood next to his bed, slowly revolving, cocking his head, thoughtful look on his face.

"Should we step out into the hall so you can 'do your thing', or do you want our help?" Remus asked, as Severus and he watched from the doorway.

"Speak for yourself, Lupin . . . I wouldn't miss this for all the Powdered Unicorn Horn in the Wizarding world!"  Severus crossed his arms and leaned against the door jam.  "But I would make two suggestions . . . NO bunk beds . . . and for Merlin's sake, add some color on the walls, this grey stripe is too Azkaban for my taste!"

"Azkaban!?!"  Sirius looked around and his eyes grew wide. "Bloody hell, Severus! Well spotted!  No wonder I hate this decor!"  Sirius pushed up his sleeves and pulled out his wand.  "Right!" 

"Now you've done it," Remus grumbled to Severus, as Sirius raised his wand, preparing to totally change his old bedroom's interior.

"And I'm actually going to enjoy every minute of it, too!"  Severus looked over at the werewolf and smirked.  "If this is any indication of how easy it is to engage Black's mind, I see lots of possibilities for this war, seeing as how he will be around to help instead of dead and gone."

"Ah, Slytherin multi-purpose." Remus nodded, as Sirius started his room's transformation.

 * * * * 

"Well, ladies, I do have some spare clothes you could transfigure into night gowns," Molly volunteered, digging into her trunk, pulling out some blouses and light "round-the-house" robes for the others to make their choices.

"I'll take the tartan robe, if you don't mind, Molly." Minerva reached out and took the bright plaid material and held it up.  "Just a bit of lengthening should do it."

"The blue blouse would do just fine for me,"  remarked Narcissa, as she sat on the edge of the bed, wand in hand, ready to start transforming the garment.  "Thank you, Molly.  It's very kind of you."

"Nonsense, Narcissa . . . we'll just have to make do for the next couple of days.  'Roughing it' is a small price to pay, if it saves our families."

"I agree," nodded Narcissa.  Looking over at her niece, she gawked at Tonks' attire.  "What are you wearing, Dora?"

"My sleepwear.  I always keep a change of clothes and set of pjs in my pouch," she replied, holding up a small leather bag that had been hanging on her belt earlier.  " 'Undetectable Extension Charm', of course; have all sorts of stuff in here.  That way I don't forget anything.  Dead useful."

"But, my dear," said Minerva, as she circled Tonks, pointing at her pajama top.  "Who is Tigger?"

 * * *

"I know I packed WAY too many things, with the help of that charm you put on my bag, Hermione, so there should be something for everyone." Reaching into her knapsack, nearly up to her armpit, Emma started pulling out clothes and dropping them on the bed.  Ginny, Luna and Hermione held up different garments and commented on the colors and styles, trading off with each other until they all had what they needed for the night.

"Emma is quite famous for modeling clothes in all kinds of Muggle magazines," Hermione informed the other two girls.  "Do you ever get to keep any of the really pretty ones?"

"Not the ones from the photo shoots, and the outfits I wear to the movie premiers are on loan to me by the designers; but it's a win-win situation . . . I get to wear these incredible gowns and the designers get loads of free publicity.  I do, however, occasionally buy a particular favorite, at a big discount, if the designer gets lots of positive feedback from my being seen and photographed in their 'latest creation' ".  Emma laughed.  "In real life, I just wear what's comfortable and what I like; I'm a jeans and t-shirt girl most of the time."