Epilogue

AUTHOR"S NOTE:

I have be dedicating each chapter to the readers who have left comments.  Unfortunately, I ran out  of chapters before I ran out of names, so here are the rest: 

 Mayclarke93,  MikRicohermoso,  _Winter_Frost_,  mammaoaten2009,  griffindor_lion,  jazzstarr74,  Severusgirl, AmandaGrathwohl, mimwit14, EdwardJacobFan77, Iibitinaa, Casper4ever, AlexisHorn4,   madisonjnl, rory4820, ThatBandGirl3, AVerySarcasticChild, madisonjnl

Thank you to all who read, enjoyed, commented and voted.  

Happy Birthday to me!  ENJOY!!!!                                     

                                             Epilogue - The gift.

Later that evening, Draco stood in the small park across the street from Emma's apartment building, looking up at the window he knew was her bedroom.  He watched as Tom and Emma approached the front entrance of the building from the corner Tube Station, laughing and chatting.  The doorman greeted the young people as he grasped the handle of the glass door, holding it open.  Tom hugged Emma, gave her a kiss on the cheek and sauntered off down the street, waving goodbye as he rounded the corner.  Emma waved, thanked the doorman and entered the lobby.

Draco's fingers tightened on the box in his hand as he 'Apparated' into the building.  Gazing around Emma's bedroom, smiling, he inhaled deeply, recognizing the faint presence of her favorite perfume.  He had decided that leaving his gift inside her apartment might scare her unduly, so he walked from the bedroom, down the short hall and over to the entry.  Taking one last look around, Draco let himself out, and then balanced the box on the door handle, where she was sure to find it.  Hearing a soft chime and the sound of the elevator door sliding open, he 'Apparated' away.

Emma came around the corner, fumbling deep in her purse.  "How does it always manage to find its way to the very bottom corner?" she muttered to herself, as she pulled her key ring free, flipping through the collection to find the right one for her door.  As Emma reached out to insert the key in the lock, she noticed the gift wrapped box balanced, rather precariously, on her doorknob.  Looking around, but seeing no-one, she lifted it and saw a small tag.  Unlocking her door, she went into her apartment, flipped on the light switch, and then tossed her purse and keys onto the sofa.  Emma held the box under the nearby table lamp so she could read what was written on the gift tag. 

Dearest Emma,

This present is for you, in the hope that,  

one day, you will remember me . . . fondly. 

You hold the key to my heart . . . in your hand.

Always,

Draco Malfoy

PS

If you ever need me, for any reason,

hold the necklace next to your heart

and say my name. 

DM 

"Draco?!?!  Right!  Classic! "

Emma started to toss the box onto the hall table, but something stopped her.   Lifting it next to her ear, she shook it gently . . . there was a soft thumping noise.  Emma frowned and then put it firmly down on the table, retrieved her purse and keys from the sofa, walked purposely into her bedroom, deposited her purse and keys on her dressing table, did an abrupt about-face, came marching back out, picked up the box and tugged on the end of the silver ribbon, which came untied easily and slid from her fingers..