Chapter 15

• Dedicated to CajsaForsman

                                          Chapter 15 : Welcome to the club, Severus

"Let me get something straight with Professor Snape before we talk, Headmaster, then both Sirius and he should join Rupert's group in the kitchen." 

Dan turned from Albus and leaned his elbows on his knees, hands clenched, head bowed for a moment before he sat up straight and turned to the Potions Master. "Right.  Look, before we're through, everyone will know all about you, Severus, whether you want them to or not.  It is, to paraphrase Albus, 'essential' for all parties concerned to know the truth about all that's happened and all that we're trying to prevent from happening.  So  . . . you'll be embarrassed, yes, but you'll also be vindicated, while you're still alive, not after you're dead.  Just a heads up on that."

"Miss Watson hinted as much to me earlier, before we watched the movie,"  Severus admitted in a low voice.  "I won't be pitied, though.  I forbid any maudlin sentimentality to attach itself to any revelations about my life."

"The only 'sentimental' thing ever said about you is that Harry names his second son Albus Severus . . . my line in the movie, taken straight from the book, was 'Albus Severus, you were named after two Headmasters of Hogwarts, one was a Slytherin and the bravest man I've ever known.'  So, except for a few teary eyes during your death scene, I don't think you'll have to worry about anyone going all weepy on your shoulder.  They'll be too shocked at what Harry has to go through to dwell on your demise.  Sorry, but Harry here is the reluctant hero, right?"  Dan turned and patted Harry on the shoulder, smiling.

"You got that bit, did you?"  Harry joked back,  "At least you've got a different life to live, since the movies are finished . . . I'm kind of stuck with getting through this one."

"Trust me Harry, it's all good after Voldemort goes down in flames, so to speak.  It looks much cooler in the movie than his kind of anti-climactic, just keeling over onto the floor, dead, as he does in the book, but dead is dead  . . .  in most cases."

"Most cases?" Remus looked puzzled.  "I get the feeling we're missing something."

"Oh, you'll all understand, in the end," Dan hinted, with a smirk.  "Back to the subject at hand." Turning again to Severus, he took a breath.  "As you saw in the movie, you stopped giving Harry his lessons in Occlumency after he managed to see some of your memories . . . so let's talk about your methods first.  We understand that you're trying to show him how hard Voldemort will hit him with his Legilimency but with your overriding hatred for his father, you're not giving him any kind of training or hints of how it feels or how to put up shields.  It's like throwing this kid in a bull ring with an enraged steer charging at him . . .  even bull fighters train with a set of horns on a wheeled frame to learn their defense moves. You've got to let go of your hatred for James and TRAIN Harry, not punish him!"

"PUNISH!!  How dare . . . you . . ." Severus started, but before he said another word, he stopped himself, closed his eyes and put his head down.   He sat there for a long moment, his hands gripping his knees.  Then he looked up at Dan.  "You are correct.  I'll start his lessons in a different way,  getting him used to the feeling of his mind being invaded . . .  but . . . you do realize I must get harder and more forceful to match the Dark Lord's methods, as Pott . . . Harry progresses . . .  that is unavoidable and necessary for him to be able to withstand the Dark Lord's invasions into his mind."

"Actually, we don't want Harry to keep him out, totally, but rather, learn to recognize when Voldemort's trying to influence him and/or planting visions.  If Harry can learn to react, in his mind, as if he's believing all of the hints being inserted in his thoughts, then we can keep Tom thinking his evil, sneaky little plan is working . . . especially when it comes to 'luring' Harry to the Ministry in June."