Chapter 3: Queen of Loopholes

A/N: Not edited, so excuse the grammatical errors if there are. By the way, I perfectly know that "bestest" is wrong, it's just an expression the most friends use. Enjoy!

"It sounds crazy, to think that I cared so much without ever talking to you."
— Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

"Okay, just breathe Gwen. They'll be back later." I comforted myself.

"And that later is like, after dinner which is at nine." I added, "And I have like six hours left to think of a solution for the situation."

Cool, it rhymed!

I thought to myself and smiled.

Focus!

And then, out of nowhere, an idea hit me.

I called Esme right away, after three rings she picked up the phone.

"Thank the bloody Angel that you answered!" I exclaimed. 

"Gwen?"

"I'll be over your house, I need to talk to you. Be there after three minutes." I told her swiftly and hung-up.

After precise three minutes, I'm at her door. The perks of being besties next door. 

"Esmeralda?" I knocked at her door. 

"Esmeralda?" I knocked again. 

Lastly, "Esmeralda?" I knocked.

Esme opened the door, and the moment I saw her, I observed her look. Her brown eyes looked lazy and confused and her blond hair was bizarre.

"You know, every time you do that. I wait for you to finish knocking three times?" She said as she leaned on the door side. 

Esme is a sweet, lovable girl, if you're in her good side. We became friends since third grade because she noticed me reading Harry  Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban by J. K. Rowling. Unfortunately before freshman year started, we don't go to school together anymore. We parted ways because her parents wanted her in a "better" school.

I shivered because of the cold. "Are we going to talk about how I knock or why I'm here?"

She stepped out of the way and let me enter. She tilted her head and uttered, "So?"

"I forgot my sister's envelope at school." I informed her.

This time, she raised her left eyebrow, "So?"

"She needs to pass the papers in the envelope tonight."

"Do I have to ask why?"

"I'll tell you anyway," I said and continued, "The papers in it are for her future and my sister and mom assigned me to get the envelope from the school's administration. I did get it but I think I forgot to get it back from my locker."

"So?" She patted her foot on the floorboard, evidence of impatience.

"I need a ride." I finally admitted.

"Would, if could. I'm grounded. I cannot leave the house. Mom even confiscated my phone." She said dramatically. 

Well that explains a lot. 

She continued, "I can't even use the house phone, but if someone calls and no one is around, I could answer."

"Why were you grounded?" I asked her.