Chapter 26: Overwhelming Feelings

"When I am with you, there is nowhere else I'd rather be. And I am a person who always wants to be somewhere else."
— David Levithan

Eventually, Luke was called home because it was already late. I found Fi and Mike settled in the living room playing Minecraft, with our Xbox. I saw Charlotte in the kitchen, chopping something.

"Oh hi, Luke," My sister shouted from the kitchen. She ran, heading to the living room. She grinned widely the moment she both saw us.

"Hey, Charlotte," Luke said. I saw him nod and smiled in acknowledgement.

"Do you want to eat dinner with us? I was just chopping some onions." Charlotte offered. "And I'm leaking tears..." She rubbed her eyes softly.

I was shaking my head repeatedly and mouthing no. It's not that I don't want Luke to stay furthermore here, I like his company. But he won't be able to get home and survive a dinner with my family. It was a good thing that Charlotte was the only one here and my parents weren't here. They'll keep teasing me all night and make it all awkward.

"I'd like to but my mom's calling me to go home." He excused.

Silently I was saying yes in my mind. I glanced at Charlotte and she was looking peculiar at Luke. Perhaps she suspected Luke lying.

"I heard that you should chew a gum while chopping onions so you won't cry." Luke suggested, his tone was a bit cheery.

"Have you tried it?" Charlotte asked.

"Oh yeah. Worked like a charm. Then my mom came home and I told her, "mom I'm chopping onions and I'm not crying, wanna know why?"
My mom didn't even looked at me and said, "because you're dead in the inside."
That's my mom, I tell you." Luke chuckled and laughed after when Charlotte laughed. I was giggling.

"I know it's unbelievable that I'm going home early because my mom said so but I already have two strikes. If I hit the third one, I'm sleeping in a box. Outside. On the street." Luke must have felt Charlotte not believing him.

"Don't worry," Charlotte said and crossed her arms. "I'm sure you'll have room in Gwen's room." She was trying not laugh.

Why is my sister embarrassing me?! She should not be doing this! This is... this is... Dam it!
My cheeks were blushing red.

"I cannot be so sure, Charlotte. I was just up in her room and her books occupied most of her room than her personal stuff. Or her bed." Luke chuckled, joking.

Unacceptable! That's the word, this is utterly unacceptable!

"Oh, Gwen. Chin up, we were only joking." Charlotte excused herself and went back to the kitchen laughing lowly.

Luke looked at me with sympathy. I turned around, crossed my arms and huffed. How could I even like this guy? He's sorta rude and insensitive.

It was a habit of mine escorting Esme to the porch steps so I did the same with Luke. When we were outside, I could feel the cool breeze and I shivered. Luke patted my arm.

"Cut me some slack off, Gwen. I was just leaving an impression."

"Well you've done it. You left an impression." I snorted.

I was mad. I don't know why. Which was very weird. How could I be mad without any reason?

"We're back at that again," he sighed. "If you're done acting like that, call me."

"We'll see."

❤️❤️❤️

"What did you do to earn your freedom?" I asked Esme, browsing the book called, Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer.