Chapter 33: What A Charm

"There are questions that you don't ask because you're afraid of the answers to them."
—  Agatha Christie, The Moving Finger

His words keep on repeating inside my mind. Like some broken jukebox. Gods! I can't breathe.

The memory replayed over my head...

"Too much info, Ron!" I squealed and shut my eyes in disgust.

Moments later, I felt a hand grab my arm behind me. I opened my eyes in shock and saw Luke. I sensed my heart quicken its heartbeat when I looked upon his eyes. Those freaking eyes that I know I will always melt.

"H-h-hey..." I stuttered.

Luke frowned and made me stand straight. My arm felt cold when his hand let go of me. I shook my head to clear my mind and I inhaled and exhaled slowly to calm my heart.

Ugh.
This is stupid.
I'm stupid.
My life is so 'ugh'.

"So... Will you go with us?" He asked in clarification.

I looked behind me and see Ron nodding his head, encouraging me to say yes.

This is the question that needed to answer right now.

I hear an intense drum roll in the background and feel like there's hundreds of people anticipated to know my answer. So much pressure...

"I... I c-ca-can't..." I answered, looking down. When I looked up I saw Luke's face suddenly saddened.

"I mean... Can't I just... Raziel! Wait!"

I ran, not caring that I left my bag and my babies—my books. I breathed heavily down the hallway.

Why can't I just decide like a normal person?! Why can't I just say yes or no in mere moments. Not over analyzing it all. I hate this.

"Gwen?" I vaguely heard someone in front of me.

I looked and saw it was Maxon.

Huh. I expected Luke running to get me and assure that everything's okay. He probably thought that I'm so ugh. This is all ugh.

Maxon went near me and stared.

Man! Doesn't he know that it's rude to stare? I can't bear to look at him so I looked at my feet. Huh. My feet looked so weird.

"You haven't sent me your research." Maxon said in a sharp voice.

I can't help but be confused and forget about the anxiety I felt earlier.

"What research?" I asked, frowning.

"For the group project." He grumbled and turned his back on me. "I knew that I should have asked Sir Tiberius to let me work on my own." He mumbled to himself.

I can't seem to say now if I was glad for his presence or not. What an ignorant jerk. I can't believe that he the nerve to say that. I should be the one saying that to my groupmates.