Chapter 5: Isabelle's Food

"We meet the people we're supposed to when the time is just right."

— Alyson Noel, Shadowland

I can still remember the day when my mother told me to "socialize" with other kids in my age when I was eight. My only friends back then were Cass, Max-Ernest and Yo-Yoji from The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch and Hiccup and his gang from How To Train Your Dragon by Cressida Cowell.

I was only eight when I already started reading immediate novels.

My mother told — actually forced — me to interact with other kids because that's healthy, and what I was doing wasn't— hiding in my bat cave.

I could still recall my feelings towards my mother back then — I loathed her of course — and what I did to the other kids who were supposed to be my playmates.

Let me tell you something, back then, I always bring scissors everywhere, not just a book. I bring scissors everywhere I went because what if there's an emergency? Like there's a loose thread in your shirt and you need scissors. Or you need an emergency haircut? Or what if you're trapped somewhere and the only way out is cutting through the walls? Then  no need to worry because I have my mighty scissors here to help.

Anyway, the day I was forced to "socialize" with other mundane kids, I brought my scissors with me. And because I was snappy that day, I told my playmates, "let's play a game. I'm going to be your hairstylist and ya'll be my costumers, okay?"

The brats agreed with me and I did style their hairs.

Let's just say, the parents of the kids almost made my mom go to jail because of my actions, ergo, my mom confiscated my scissors. Ever since that day, I wasn't allowed to hold any scissors.

"So you wanna help me cut these?" Luke said, snapping me out of my thoughts, giving me a scissors.

I blinked twice. "Uhh, sure." I reached out my hand and grab the scissors out of his hand.

Luke suggested that we could spend our time here by doing something together. He recommended things to do like making DIY stuff. And since I love to read, he said we'll make some DIY bookmarks. We ran towards the art room and we collected the stuff we needed.

Ultimate silence covered the room except for the subtle sound of our scissors cutting colored papers.

"You know, I thought you would've laughed at my idea of doing something together." Luke said, breaking the silence.

"Why so?" I asked him, frowning yet still concentrating in cutting the paper.

"I thought you would think it's girly." He said, chuckling.

I stop cutting and look at him. "Girly? Well aren't you sexist." I shake my head and chuckle.

"I'm not sexist!" He protests.

"Then what did you think that I thought would be," — I say the next word like I'm disgusted, — "girly?"

"Because mostly, girls do DIYs not boys!" He points out.

I give him a stink-eye, "yeah right."

"Sexist." I murmur.

"I heard that!"

When we were done cutting the papers he said that we needed something to decorate it. I suggested glitters.

We found different colors of glitters and placed it on the work bench.