Chapter 34: Love Ballad

—chapter inspired by the song attached—

"I know you'll never love me but maybe you'll stay for awhile."
— Henry Rollins, Solipsist

"He's actually waiting for my answer right now." I admitted to Esme.

"What do you mean?"

"After bumping into Maxon, I went to get my stuff. Ron was gone but I saw Luke holding my bag. Luke was grinning when he saw me—" to be honest, his eyes weren't sparkling like they were earlier. Wait, did I just use the word 'sparkling' to describe someone's eyes? YA novels are getting in me. "—and he told me that it was okay if I didn't want to come. He was a wee bit hurt that I rejected his invitation, but he understands..."

"BUT YOU SAID HE'S WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWER RIGHT NOW!" Esme screamed from the other side of the line. From her tone, she was getting impatient.

"I'M GETTING THERE!" I shouted back, surpassing a laugh.

"You don't have to tell me the whole timeline of what happened. What is this? How To Get Away With Murder? Like," her voice was monotone this time, "ten hours earlier..."

"Just stop interrupting me!" I giggled.

"CONTINUE!"

"Okay!" I closed my eyes to remember what happened. "I got super uncomfortable because I think he was thinking that," I mimicked Luke's voice, lowering my pitch, "God! Gwen is such a butt. I can't believe after all the things we've been through, she still thinks we're not friends."

"Gwen..." Esme tried to cut me off but I continued by talking more quickly.

In my normal voice, I said, "his face was so damn disappointed. It pained me to see him like that. I wasn't thinking of rejecting his invite. I wanted to say," with a fierce, sharp voice, J stated, "SHUT UP, LUKE! I WOULD GO TO THIS DAM TRIP BECAUSE I DAM LIKE YOU AND YOU WILL DAM LIKE ME BACK AND DEAL WITH IT."

I heard Esme, in the other side of the phone snorting and trying to surpass a laugh.

Gods! If only I can laugh too.

"Okay, I guess that was too direct, and foolish, and probably never going to happen." I said, my eyes wandering around my room.

"I'm sorry for laughing." She apologized sincerely. "It's just... You admitted liking Luke."

"I DID NOT!" I protested like a child trying to tell the parents: I DID NOT BROKE THE VASE!

"Luke is... Well, Luke. I'd rather be in Tartarus than admitting—"

"Bullshit."

"Language!" I gasped.

"You need to admit it Gwen. Admit it out loud, not just in your head." Esme consulted.

"I'm not attracted to Luke!" I squealed.

"I'm not saying you're attracted to him—that's a total lie—ADMIT THAT YOU LIKE HIM!"

"I'm fond of Luke." I huffed.

"Look, I want you to be happy,"
Esme said. I was about to protest that I am happy but she cuts me off.