Chapter 8: Sports and Pets

"Our past may shape us, but it doesn't define who we become."
— Alyson Noël, Dark Flame

"Tell me something about your life." I said, trying to continue our conversation.

"Well, let's see... I'm awesome." He grinned sheepishly. 

I punched him softly and said, "be serious! How about this, tell something about your life that people doesn't know about."

He hesitated answering me. "I don't know why you're asking me this questions."

"You asked me personal questions too... Sort of."  I said shyly.

"Yeah, but you didn't answer me honestly." He objected.

"Yes I did! I actually prefer the cold heart truth than sugarcoated lies." I said, nearly shouting.

"Fine. If you don't want to answer, then don't." I added when he kept silent so we walk together in silence.

What's wrong with him? One moment we were laughing, the next is, we're complete strangers.

Woah, I thought when I heard Luke's sudden apology.

I looked at him, confused. "You're confusing, Mister."

"I'm an A student." He said and continued, "people don't know that." He pointed out.

"How come?" I asked ansty, eager to know why.

"You really have no idea of who I am, don't you?" He asked, clearly still not believing of that fact.

I shook my head slowly. "Not a clue."
"I'm not really a people person." I clarified.

"I've noticed." He uttered, undoubtedly agreeing with me with no objection.
He continued, "I'm soon to be Miguel Cabrera?" He hinted, however, not a single thing came up in my mind.

I raised my right eyebrow, and let him continue. "Oh come on!" He whined.
"He's a baseball player." He said, still hinting.

"I'm not really into sports." I said, blandly.

"Seriously?" He grimaced.

Both of my parents aren't really into sports. When my sister was nine and I was eight, my sister envied her best friend's parents because they always go to ball games and practices since their child is a soccer player.  So Charlotte told mom and dad that she wanted to try soccer ergo, we could bond like other families too. The first day of Charlotte's practice was a mess, my dad was very scared for Charlotte being hit by the ball in the face so he made her wear vests. A lot of vests. Head to toe, she looked like a fidgety kid. Her teammates laughed at her however, mom and dad thought they were cheering.
That day, my dad and I sat on the bench while mom was "cheering" Charlotte when it was her turn to play. When I say mom was cheering, not the ordinary cheer, she was practically shouting at Charlotte what to do in the game. She was shouting at their coach, her teammates, and her. My sister was pretty humiliated so she quit the team the next day.
Mom and dad were so relieved that she did. They thought she liked playing so they became "supportive".
Ever since that day, I was traumatized to play sports so I never bothered. And because my body and I made a compromise that walking is the only exercise I'll ever do in my whole life.

"Yep." I said, popping the letter 'p'.

"So, who's Miguel Cabrera?" I asked him, trying to look interested.

"He's a famous baseball player." He informed me.

I huffed softly. "Cute."