Chapter 19: Dobby is Free

"How amazing it is that friendships can become so full that you can't imagine what your life was like before them."
— David Levithan

"Zip it Luke, I'm not going to a party. Never again." I said.

I was so glad that it's been cool between us. When first period was done, I found him waiting outside the classroom's door like he normally do for the past week. He escorts me in between classes which I found sweet and nice. I was relieved to find him there. It occurred to me that he was going to pretend that the intimacy did not happen. I, of course, glad to play pretend with him.

Luke found me at lunch time and kept on insisting to go with him at a party that will happen next Friday. They were going to throw Maxon a "Welcome Back!" party. I asked him that wasn't it too late to throw him a party, but then he said, Maxon likes parties. He wouldn't mind throwing one for him. Even though it doesn't make any sense to throw a party for him.

Luke was silent for one second until his eyes furrowed like he's onto something.

"Hmm... How about, I'll stop asking you to come with me if you surprise me with something," he challenged me. I didn't know if he expects me to surprise him like physically or in a mentally surprise him.

"Fine... when I was eight I almost got arrested," I said abruptly and he choked.

"You... Were what?" He tried to utter. His face was priceless!

Satisfied with his reaction, I continued, "you heard me. It was all because, I was putting fake snow stuff in plastic baggies and giving them out to all, what my mother would have called, friends. Those kids asked me more and more of those snow until one of the kid's parent found it and they thought it was cocaine so they called the police on us and," I stopped because an unexpected giggle came.

"Sorry, it's just funny that they literally thought that an eighth year old girl had created an underground drug distributing system." I giggled again and shook my head slightly. I can't believe I just told him that story.

"Did you spend the night in jail? I cannot believe that you, Miss Goodie-Good booknerd was almost sent to jail," he said, fascinated.
"Stop nibbling your lips, would you? You're killing me here."

I had no idea on what he meant there. Killing him? I wasn't even aware that I was nibbling. Esme told me once that I only nibble whenever I get nervous. I guess I was nervous in what he'll think of me now. He already knows that I'm weird, now I just made it worse. Oh Merlin, what does he think of me now? I looked down at my feet. After all the things he told me before first period, I still have low self-esteem.

When I wasn't speaking, he spoke, "you got me, I guess you're full of surprises."

It took me a minute to compose myself and be able to speak a word.
"You bet I do," I tried to smile confidently.

"Now about the party?"
All my nervousness was gone with that single question. What I'm most fascinated about Luke is that he's persistent, and determined. Wait, is there even a difference between persistent and determined?

Focus, Gwen.

I was about to reply but then the school bell rang. Good thing that we were walking towards my classroom and that his class is only next door.

"This is not the end of this discussion, Cohen!" Luke loudly said, walking backwards, heading his classroom's door.

Before going inside I shouted back to Luke, "oh yes it is!"

"So we've been thinking-" Ron suddenly popped out of nowhere.

"Holy flabbergoose! Don't do that!" I said, shocked.