Chapter 35: What A Twist

"You could have had anything else in the world, and you asked for me."
Cassandra Clare, City of Glass

Okay, I think it is safe to say that I deserve to eat some of my sister's secret stash of doughnuts. I quietly decided as I eat a piece of doughnut from Charlotte's box.

I've put the box on the counter and looked at my phone.

'I'm going.'

I've typed that half an hour ago. Just a text waiting to be sent to Luke.

Is that too forward?

"Gwen! ARE YOU EATING MY DOUGHNUTS?!" I heard too familiar squeak coming from behind me.

As I look around, I was taking another bite to pester Charlotte.

"IT IS! WHAT THE HELL GWEN!" She ran near me and snatched away the doughnut that was in my hand and put it back in the box.

"What?" I scoffed at her and she punched my arm back.

"This," I gestured me eating, "is your fault."

"I cannot believe you!" She babbled as she put the box back to its hiding place. "I was saving this for emergencies."

"You cannot believe me?! I cannot believe that you sold me off to Luke and Ron!"

"I did you ANOTHER favor!" She argued.

"Oh really?"

She turned around to look at me. "Yes, I did."

"How did it become a favor, Charlotte. Enlighten me please, dear sister." I said, stomping my right foot.

"Well little sister, as I said before, Luke likes you, you like him, that trip was perfect timing for you guys to confess your undying love to each other."

I was speechless.

Earlier, after I hung up the phone, I asked mom about the trip. She was super excited that I was going to this trip—she was assuming that I was—because, for the first time in forever, her introvert booknerd daughter, Gwen, will finally spend some time outside the house, socializing with friends. She kept on rumbling and reminding me to not keep my nose under a book because it was rude and that I should talk to people. When my dad heard about the trip, all he said that it was good for me to go out and play.

I can't believe my parents are willing to give me permission to go to a trip.
A trip without their supervision.
A trip with people they haven't even met personally. (Though, I pointed this out to mom and all she said was: "Nah! Charlotte met Luke already. Charlotte told me that Luke was a real gentleman when he was here. Too bad I haven't seen him personally."
Quietly she whispered, "and I've heard that he's one handsome lad." And mom winked at me.)

I asked her how Luke asked for permission if she haven't even seen him personally. She told me that Luke called my sister and my sister passed the phone to mom. And they talked earlier back on Monday, before school started. Hmm... that was probably why he was kinda late.

But what I didn't understand is how my parents and Charlotte were quiet about this for almost three days.

Mom and dad just shrugged and answered, "it was a topic that wasn't opened again."

"Damn girl! You've got it bad." My sister said breaking off my thoughts and laughed.

"Charlotte!" I squealed, my cheeks turning red.

"I knew you liked him!" She exclaimed, smirking. "Why were you looking at your phone like you can't decide something?" She interrogated quickly, forgetting that I almost ate all of her doughnuts.

Panicking, I try to hide my phone away, but Charlotte was a ninja, so when she saw my reaction, she effortlessly snatched my phone away from me.

"Just send it already," she said, frowning, after reading it.

"I can't. What if that's too forward? I mean, how do you even say hello to a guy you like?"

"Oh little Gwenny, you look so cute." She slowly shook her hear and I saw her pressed 'send'.

I looked at her, horrified at what she did.

"Now you owe me three favors." She said, smiling satisfyingly and leave the kitchen.

A second later my phone rings and I answer it quickly when I saw it was Luke.

"Hey," he greeted casually.

What the fudge! Should I say hey back? Good evening? What's up? Hi? Hello?
WHAT RESPONSE WAS I USING BEFORE?! HOW CAN I NOT REMEMBER?! IS THIS NORMAL? WHY AM I FREAKING OUT? BY THE ANGEL. That crazy thoughts were running in my head and kept on going on.

"Gwen?"

"H-h-h-hey... Luuuke..." I responded quietly.

My eyes figuratively—well might as well have—popped out. Why is my brain not functioning?!

"I would want to wrap you in potatoes." I said, not thinking straight, but just remembering a photo I found in Twitter.

"Wait, what?" He asked, chuckling. I could imagine him smirking right now. That lips of his smiling smugly at me, amused by my words. His lips.

With that thought, I absently touched my lips. I wasn't even aware that I was nibbling my bottom lip. Holy Hera, what is Luke doing to me?
My heart is beating so fast, it can't seem to slow down

"You. Wrapped in potatoes. By me." I repeated and right after I palmed my face for saying those.

"Well then, I would oddly find that enjoyable." He replied shortly.

Does he know this photo I saw or would he really find me wrapping him in potatoes enjoyable? With that thought, I found out how to talk to him easily again. Without me being weird.

"How dare you out weird me!" I said, laughing carelessly.

"You were supposed to say that you weren't expecting that response. And now I would say, you obviously don't know how much I truly love potatoes."

So he does know the post.

"So why did you call?" I asked casually while heading up to my room.

"Just needed to make sure that it was you who sent the text." He explained.

"Got your proof?"

"Yep." I heard him say in the other line as I slip into my bed.

"Gwen?"

"Yeah?"

"I like you." He said and that made me hung up the phone quickly.