Chapter 1. New Beginnings

All these reads and votes I'm getting mean so much to me, you guys mean so much to me. Welcome and enjoy the book, so much love.

Beautiful cover made by infinitelyx thank you, a million times over ❤️

-Sher
********************************************

           Here I was packing up my childhood room, I should be sad, I should be mad at my dad for making us move, but the truth is; I'm not. Im not mad, sad, or anything else.

This house holds so many painful memories; like the kitchen floor where me and my brother Ryder found my dad passed out drunk on too many occasions to count, or the table where we found the note from our mother saying she was leaving us.

Thinking about it now i've gotten less and less angry about her leaving. I guess I've reasoned with myself for long enough that I've realized, if she didn't want us, we shouldn't and dont want her.

My dad got an awesome job offer in Seaport, California. Hs couldn't turn down the money or the position. My brother Ryder was a little more angry than I was about moving, I mean he was starting pitcher for our high school baseball team and dating "the hottest girl in school". But I think it will be good for us, start over where no one knows us, a place where we still to this day, 8 damn years later we won't get pitying looks in the grocery store, a place where when people hear my name I won't hear the whispering of uneducated voices reminding me and Ryder that our mom didn't want us.

"Dani!" my brother yelled from the stairs "Its time to go!"

"Uhm yeah ill be right there!" I yelled back picking myself up off my now bare floor "Well goodbye room, hope your new owners treat you right.."

"Danielle James! If you aren't down here in 10 seconds I swear to god you can walk to California!" I heard my dad yelling

I sighed shutting my bedroom door for the last time, walking down the stairs listening to the creak in the 3rd one from the top.

I dont think it hit me before that although this house has some many bad memories, Ryder, my dad and I have made so many of our own good ones. Like the flour fight on christmas morning, the endless tears of laughter I shed at the table the first time dad tried to explain to me what a period was, the living room where Ryder and I would watch our Harry Potter marathons, the back deck where I got my first kiss from Ryder's ex best friend Dominic.

Whoops, Ryder did not take that lightly.

Looking around for the last time I smiled, it was the house that made the memories, it was us. As I shut and locked the front door like the relator said, I see Ryder sitting in his jeep and the bottom of the driveway with his ever needy girlfriend Keira in the front seat crying. My dad in his car typing on the gps and then I hear it; my best friend Michelle's car squealing down the road and into the driveway narrowly missing Ryder's jeep. She jumped out quickly, the look of relief washing over her face.

"Hi Mr.J!" she said smiling at my dad

"Hi Michelle" My dad said laughing back at her

"Damn you're still here, thought I missed out!" she said embracing me in a hug

"Shit, didn't get out of here quick enough!" I said laughing, I laugh mostly when I'm uncomfortable.

"Oh you dick, you know you're going to miss me."

"I know... Promise me that you'll FaceTime me every week and update me over text whenever you can ok..." I said as the realization set in that this was goodbye

"Braiden was at the house earlier, said he was going to come by.." she said trailing off

I had been dating Michelle's brother Braiden for a year and a half when my dad decided to move, we both knew the long distance thing wouldn't work so we ended it. I know he's upset but the fact that he didn't say goodbye stung a lot more than I let on.

"Whatever, his loss. Im gunna miss you" I said hugging her again as my dad honked the horn "Guess its time."

"Love you, dont let any of those cali bitches call you their best friend. Im your best friend." She said walking to the car with me.

She was laughing, but I knew damn well she was dead serious.

"Never. You should come visit over the holidays, you always have a room in the house." I said climbing in the front seat

"Of course, bye Mr.J, still kind of resent you for taking away my best friend." Michelle said laughing giving my dad a quick hug

"Ill miss you too Michelle, tell  Stacey and Marc thank you for all the help packing. Shame they couldn't make it today." my dad said

"Ill be sure to tell them. See you at the holidays!" Waving as she walked back to her car "Bye Ry! Ill miss you too idiot!"

Turning I see Ryders face light up with a huge smile, and I can tell you. It was MUCH to Keira's dismay. But that was Ryder, he was never really known for taking anything too seriously.

He's always thought of Michelle as another sister, we were so much more than best friends. We all kind of felt like one big family.

"Love you sis!" Ryder yelled out Keira's now opened door, while waving his hands in the air like an idiot "Don't forget to wrap it! Make good choices!"

Oh my god.

I turned in time to see Mrs.Muddle from two doors down, shooting my brother a death glare while she calmly had her hands placed FIRMLY over her 5 year old sons ears.

He is something else.

"Bye Mrs.Muddle! Love you forever!" He shouted to her while he walked around his jeep, jumping in the front seat

How has he made it this far in life? How?

She didnt even dignify him with a response, just a loud scoff and scuffle as she dragged poor Lewis in the house by the arm, undoubtedly thrilled with our eminent departure.

Goodbye Ridgeville, Hello Seaport. New life in T minus 8 hours. Just what I need.

Short chapter! They do get longer, stick with me!