Chapter 2. A Broken Toe and Lamp

"Dani" my dad said softly "We're here baby."

"Hmm what.." I said opening my eyes, forcing them wide as they try to close again, heavy from exhaustion

"We're home." he said pulling into a driveway and smiling "thank you for being so awesome the past couple of months, my girl. I know i'm not home a lot-"

I quickly cut him off, smile eating its way across my lips "Dad. Please don't ever say sorry to Ryder or I. You're doing everything you can to provide us with a life like this, we love you."

I watched him bite as his lip anxiously as I told him this, the sadness disappearing from his face. Ryder and I both know that for this life we live there needs to be sacrifice and right now its up to my dad. One day, we will take care of him.

"But uh, what the frick Rick. I told you I would drive part way, its the least I can do."

"Its ok, you looked peaceful, besides. What are dads for right?" he said with a genuine smile any sign of sadness leaving his face "I mean I could have done without your obnoxious snoring and excessive sleep farting-"

"DAD!" I yelled laughing "I do not sleep fart!"

"Keep telling yourself that Dani, hopefully you'll find an understanding husband."

I stretched my legs out before opening the car door, smile on my face, the warm August air with a hint of salt water attacking my dry skin. I looked around at the houses surrounding ours, they all looked the same but slightly different. Mercedes and Audi's plaguing all the driveways. I guess we had moved to a rich area. Which isn't surprising, dad has been making a lot of money the past few years.

He was a high profile lawyer with an impressive clientele. I have to give it to the man, supporting two kids while going to school for a law degree. He juggled it well, who needs a mom when you have a dad this amazing... If you couldn't tell, I'm a daddy's girl through and through. He's my bestfriend, my support system, he was there for me when I had nobody.

Surprisingly as well Ryder and I have a great relationship, other than the fact of his poor taste in woman and constant need to remind me of our 4 and a half minute age difference. He's an ok guy, ya know. For a brother.

I checked my phone to see one missed call from Braiden and 2 missed texts from Michelle. I quickly texted Michelle back, deleting the missed call in the process. Im not doing this with him, I'm not, he made his choice to not show up. I have to start fresh and new.

Walking up to the house, I begin digging the key out of my ridiculously large purse, Ryder and my dad are arguing about who got to park in the garage.

Men.

We all know my car is going in the garage, which should be arriving tomorrow or the next day.

The interior of the house was black, grey and white. The kitchen was gorgeous and I couldn't wait to start cooking in here. I found the master bedroom which had an awesome view of our new pool and backyard. As I explored a bit more I found the room which I will claim as my own, a view over looking the park, ensuite bathroom and every girls dream, a walk in closet. I heard thundering footsteps coming up the stairs barreling towards my room.

"MINE!" I yelled as they got close

"SHIT!" Ryder yelled back

I saw him run passed my room and into the other one, where I followed him and plopped myself down on the dark hardwood floor, the coolness of it licking at my warm skin

"Hmm nice digs brotha." I said as I stretched my long, tan legs out

"Still time swap rooms." He said wiggling his brows and motioning at the door