Chapter 18. Starting Over

I am shocked! Everyone is here; the house is decorated with streamers and a welcome home banner. 

Welp..... kind of wish I wasn't wearing sweat pants at the current point in time.

"You guys are the best!" I say hugging Lydia and Michelle "I cant believe you did all this for me."

"We just wanted to show you how much we love you!" The girls said giggling

I hug everyone, unable to wipe the dumb smile off my face. The pain radiating in my leg is all but a dull roar now, my mind fully occupied on the people I love.

Everyone is having a great time, eating, laughing. Dad left our Christmas tree up. Not like it's the end of February or anything, I appreciate it though. But I quickly come to the realization that I ruined their Christmas. Feeling the guilt of knowing the last three months of my life were taken is enough, but knowing it's been hell for my family makes me want to scream. 

It makes me want to hurt Julian the way he hurt my family and me.

I slip outside and onto the swing that sits on the large, dark wood  deck. Taking a deep breath, I let the crisp air coat my lungs. Sadness fills my heart once again as I sit in silence.

If only I-

"Mind if I join?" A voice says snapping me from my trance

"No, not at all." I say smiling at him

"How is it to be home?" Jackson asks

"Great, I'm really happy. Being back with all of you is especially nice. I know we have a lot to worry about but for tonight I just want to be with you guys."

"He's not going to get away with this, so you know."

I'm staring at him, he's staring at me. Maybe it's the pain meds, maybe it's the air, maybe it's just my goddamn hormones. But before I think about what I'm doing, I lean in and kiss him. I feel his hand on my lower back pulling me closer. He's kissing me with a sense of need, my hand grasping his hair. I pull back afraid of where this may lead.

"I'm sorry." I say quickly

"For what?" He says with a dopey smile "it's ok, I was thinking it. You did it."

"Really?"

"If only you heard the ridiculous speech I gave you before you woke up."

"Well you can tell me now..." I say looking hopeful

"Maybe on our wedding day." He says smirking

He gets down on one knee

What. The. Fuck.

"Jackson I-"

"Relax Danielle." He says opening the box

Only to reveal a Gift card for Home Depot?

I burst out laughing

"You know, so we can go buy you a new lamp. Because uhm, Cameron didn't break it. I did, when you came out... I uh, hid in the truck." Jackson says smiling

"Aweh that's cute, scared of little ole me?" I say taunting him

"You're scary ok! You're a very intimidating individual. But I wanted to ask if we could start over. No bets, no lies, maybe a little arguing once in awhile."

I'm not sure if this smile could get any bigger, I feel like the Cheshire Cat.

"So Danielle. What I'm asking is, well. Will you be my girl? Well, girlfriend. But I know you're all independent woman and-"