Chapter 16. Months Go By

Hey guys! If you're loving "Playing For Keeps", Please check out my new book "The Bucket List"

Love you all so much!
Xx- Sher

--------------------------------------------------------

                                                                                                       Ryder POV

It's been 3 months, 4 days and 18 hours since she got hit. Nothing has changed, she's still in the hospital in a medically induced coma. She was suppose to come out of it weeks ago. They don't know how she's alive, she should be dead.

I sit at her beside holding her hand like I have every single day for the past 3 months. Michelle has made this a bit easier, she's living with us now and comes every day. My mom had tried to come but I won't let her near Danielle.

Vickey has come a few times and I know it's hard for her that I'm never there for her. I know she is going through stuff but I just- I need to be here. I know she understands though, that's why love her. 

This is my sister. My best friend.

Dad comes every few days, no surprise he's been gone on business. I don't get what fucking runs through his head. This is his daughter! She's more important than anything!

"Dani please wake up. I need you, we all need you. Life isn't the same without you, there's no one to cook me dinner. To give Jackson shit, to feed Lydia chocolate bars. You mean so much to everyone. Please." The tears falling freely down my face "We fucking need you!"

The steady beat of her heart monitor has become a constant background noise in my life.

The door opens with a squeak as Jackson and Lydia come in with flowers.

"Any news with Julian's case?" I ask wiping my face

"He uh-" Lydia says, tears springing to her eyes "he uh- he"

"He got let off." Jackson interrupts "his friends gave him an alibi."

"WHAT!" I yell, rage clear in my voice "I'm going to fucking kill him."

Running out of the room I ignore the screams of Lydia and Jackson. I'm going to make this fucker pay.

"Ryder wait!" Michelle yells after me

"He got off! He fucking got off! She could never wake up and he gets to walk around free!" I'm now freely crying not caring who see's me

The whole team is there, they all loved Danielle. Carson came out to us as gay right after Danielle slipped into a coma, he said she told him he had to, gave him the strength to do it.

Please don't take Danielle. Please. We need her.

"I know Ry. But now isn't the time. You're not thinking straight." She says hugging me as we slump to the floor

"It's not fair." I cry into her shoulder.

It's not fair.

                                                                                     Jackson POV

"Lyd could you go check on him. I- I just need a couple of minutes with her."

"Sure thing Jax. I'll take him to get some coffee." Lydia says and she bends down and kisses Danielle's forehead

The door closes softly, the only noise I hear is the steady beat of the heart rate monitor. She's finally breathing on her own, but still hasn't woken up.  Tears freely falling from my eyes as I look at her. She didn't deserve this.

"I don't know if you can hear me." I start  "but I need you to come back. Ryder is a mess, your dad has left him all alone. You're basically all he has. We miss you Danielle.. The first day I saw you, you were unloading the U haul. Yelling at Cam for dropping your lamp, I didn't think it was possible to literally love someone the moment you saw them. You were so beautiful, the way you crinkle your nose when your mad. The way your left eye kind of twitches whenever you give me shit. You didn't deserve this, I should have been there to protect you. At the club when he hit you, I just; I couldn't even be around you.

You were and are like the light at the end of my dark tunnel. You're the best and worst thing that's ever happened to me. I only say worse because, I love you Danielle. A love that hurts, a love that makes my heart want to break every single time I look at you. I see you laying here and I can't do a goddamn thing to help you. Somehow even in this state, you are still the most beautiful girl I've ever laid eyes on. When you found out about the bet, I felt sick. I felt sick knowing how much I hurt you, I'm not suppose to hurt you. I'm suppose to make you happy and I can't even do that right. I've tried to imagine my life without you, but I can't. You invade my mind. At school I find myself thinking of you, at the gym, at practice. It's you Danielle.

You're always on my mind. I need you to come back, not just for me. But for Lydia and Carson, Ryder and Michelle. Ty and me. We miss you Danielle. We miss the fire you brought to all our lives, the sass and attitude. We miss it. We miss you." 

They need you, I need you.

I wipe the tears away from my eyes with the back of my hand

I need her even if it's just friends.

Everything around me goes silent as I watch her monitor flat line. Doctors fill the room. They push me out as I watch in horror. Trying to revive her. Ryder beside me yelling.

Please don't take her.

The doctors push us all out of the room and I'm left out with Ryder, Michelle and Lydia. We are left waiting while Danielle dies.

Hours fly by as nurses or in and out.

 That's a good sign right? 

None of us dare say anything.

A white coat approaches us and explains that Danielle's heart stopped, while they were able to revive her she may face future complications due to the lack of oxygen able to go to her brain for those few minutes and that she may wake up in the next few hours. That we need to prepare ourselves for memory loss.

"You can go see her now." He says giving Ryder a reassuring pat on the shoulder

If she died her dad wouldn't have even been here, the thought makes my blood boil.

Ryder goes in first, then Lydia, then Michelle. I wait at the door scared for what I will see. I slowly push open her door.

Then, I see the best sight in the world

Danielle's monitor shows a heartbeat again.

Nothing could have prepared us for what happened next though

Danielle shoots straight up out of bed taking a massive gasp of air before falling back on the bed.

She turns to us with tears in her eyes.

"Who are you?" She croaks "Where am I!?"

She doesn't remember us.

She doesn't remember me.