Contradicting

Throughout the night James felt Cassandra move about the mattress, even hitting him in the abs with her elbow a couple of times.

"So much for a long sleep." James thought.

Night turned to daylight quickly and he felt a leg over top one of his.

He slowly opened his eyes and rubbed the sleep out of them. Blurry images at first but focusing better every time he blinks.

A hand lands on his arm and he looks into Cassandra's blue oceanic eyes. Wide awake it seems, although they did have a tiring look.

"James?"

"Hmm? What's wrong?" He stretches out the words as he does the same to his body.

"Why are you here?"

"I'm here, because I'm your protector, it's kinda my job."

"What? You can't be here!"

"Your right, however it's a good thing I am here because you would've been stranded or killed."

"James, you have to go."

She gets up out of bed and shoves the blankets at him while she stretches too.

"No, we have to go."

"James, your going home and that's that!" Her voice strong in command, well he can play that game.

He gets up out of bed and begins dressing again. Looping his buckle around his pants, throwing on his jacket, shoes, and then placing his weapons carefully on his body.

"Why are you mad? I should be the mad one, you left me back there!" He yells strongly back.

"I'm not mad!"

"You sure sound mad, and I don't do so well with mad people. You'd better clean it up Cass."

She huffs in disgust at him while she pulls her shoes on.

"Your ridiculous!"

"I'd like to think of it as my charm."

He walks over to her and kneels before her untied shoes.

"Stop! Don't help me!"

She rips the laces out of his hands and quickly ties them.

"You didn't say that last night as I recall. In fact you looked like you needed my help last night."

"James!"

She stands and he mimics her move just to contradict her.

"What? I was just saying, maybe you need a co-captain to hell. Somebody who actually knows the way there."

"Your not coming with me."

She pushes past him and he quickly runs ahead and stops her in her track again by the dividing wall.

"Oh yes I am."

"No your not!"

The pain evident in her eyes as she spat the words at him. She ducks under his arm and is five footsteps away from the handle when suddenly she's turned around and pushed up against it.
His eyes boring into her soul as she can't help the urge to stare back into his. Every single time he did this to her, look at her, she felt like someone may actually love her. Some one may actually want to be with her.
She refuses to crumble however, no matter how he makes her feel.

"Cass...what are you worried about? Are you afraid of me dying?"

"Deathly. I'd rather see a knife in my own chest than yours."

She watches as his expression softens and vulnerability crosses his features.

"Damn." She thought to herself.

His fingers traced over her features. Over her eyelids, down her strong nose, across her cheek, and tracing the outline of her lips. Cassandra's heart skipped several beats and her mind was off somewhere in the distance.

"Cass," He sighs out her name and a somber smile crosses his lips,"As long as we're here now, that's all that matters. Not tonight, tomorrow, or the future. Just now in this moment. We will always have this."

She felt her morale and angry facade melt away. Cassandra didn't care about being strong anymore, or at least at the moment. Cassandra didn't care that there's a mission they need to get to. All she cared about was now with James.

"James, kiss me, please."

Slowly he leans in and licks his bottom lip like he's ready to digest a delicious desert. Her eyes close even before their lips touch and she leans in the rest of the way. Softly kissing him while he holds her against the door.

"The tables have turned," He mumbles into her mouth.

A large smile crosses her lips and laughs into his.

"Absolutely beautiful," He whispers to her.

Her hands rest peacefully on his chest while his hand cups her cheek and pulls her closer.

James hungrily pulls her off the door and walks her to the bed.

Rather awkwardly, he pushes her onto the bed and he follows in suit. Cassandra giggles as her body bounces off the mattress and back on it. However, there was nothing funny about the way James looked at her. His eyes filled with desire, and his body over hers.

"I love you," She whispers to him.

He smiles highly down at her and takes claim to her lips.

"I adore you," he whispers back.