Has to

Cassandra sat nervously next to James and seemed to even seem unsure at times. Serena and Nathan sat on the other side of the table sharing good memories of what they both missed, and occasionally sharing a  small kiss.

"We really wish you could've been at our Wedding James, You would've had such fun!" Serena takes a bite of her salad and chicken.

"I'm sure it would've been, the walls would've been sprayed in rainbow colors in sure." James smirks over at Nathan.

"Very funny Brother...It was tasteful—"

"Our food was a tad burnt." Nathan blunt remarks.

Cassandra lets out a huge laugh and everyone smiles at her. It was the first time since she felt like she belonged in this family. James grabs her hand from underneath the table and gives it a encouraging squeeze.

"So how did you two meet?" Serena knew how, but this time was different.

"Depends what storyline you want...Do you want to know when I first met her or when she first met me?" James voice was off, it didn't have its usual security.

"Both." Serena smiles across at Cassandra.

"Well, I went home after a stressful day of work and took a bath. Um...Then James sort of walked in on me, and that's how we ended up here." Cassandra smiles sadly.

"Okay, could be worse, he could've done something cheesy—"

"HEY! I MET YOU CHEESILY!" Nathan exclaims.

"Shh, your adorable dear, now James, how did you meet her?"

Cassandra turned her eyes to him and saw something in the green. A fleck of adoration or maybe even admiration. A hot flash sprang across her body as she watched him shift.

"Can I be excused?" Cassandra asks politely.

"Sure," Serena sweetly answers.

Cassandra pushes out her chair and walks away to the bathroom. As soon as she was out of ear shot, James knew what to say.

"Why are you guys here? Obviously it's not to visit," Serena's sincere voice flowing.

"I'm sorry, I need you to keep her safe Serena."

"Safe? Who's after you?"

"No one, but I'm after someone. She can't come with me, not after what happened last time she was captured. I'll return in two days time, but I won't promise it."

"Brother what are you getting yourself into?"

"I have to kill him Serena. I have to kill Gabriel, it's the only way Cassandra will ever be safe."

"Cassandra? What about you both?!"

"I promised I'd protect her, I took an oath, and I intend on keeping it, to my last breath..."

"James, no, you can't do that. It's suicide!"

"Serena...you have a family, you two will want kids of your own, and you will want them safe. I'm sorry but I have to do this."

"Speaking of kids...James...We named ours after you," Nathan proudly announces.

"You mean-I'm a- I didn't know, congrats Serena, Nathan, you both will be great parents."

"Thank you, It means a lot, and perhaps if you choose to stay alive...we will have a chance at becoming Aunt and Uncle," Serena smiles.

"No, You know the rules of a guardian."

"James, you've broken them already, it's kinda pointless now. Think about it, think about having a real future with Cassandra. Think about what you could be giving up."