I Choose You

Both went to bed alone and feeling completely lost as to what's going on in their relationship. He's been so distant and she's been so quiet. James can't seem to sleep and flip flops in his bed. Cassandra had felt much the same, no sleep, tireless, and very exhausted of them. James stares up at the ceiling and sighs longingly out. He turns his head to the electronic clock on the side table and it's only eleven at night.

"Fuck," He mouths, "I can't take this."

James gets up out of bed and walks past the kitchen Island.

"I'm so stupid..." He lowly whispers.

James reaches her door and gently opens it. Small creaks come from the rebellious hinges and he pauses when she rolls in bed. He quickly finishes closing it and hears blankets move.

"James?" Her voice unsure through darkness.

"I'm sorry, but I can't take this much longer."

He drops his shoulders in humbleness and walks to her. Cassandra sits up in the bed and waits patiently for him. James kneels in front of her and stares into her eyes.

"Neither can I..." she whispers back.

"I don't want to be distant from you anymore, I don't want us to break apart, and I can try harder, do better for you," James words sink into her and she smiles sadly down at him.

"But it's not you, not really, and Im sorry. I just...I'm not good with strangers, and..." She trails off leaving him on edge.

"And?" He urges her on.

"I lost everything...My memories, my mother, father, friend, and I almost lost you, James-"

"You never lost me Cassandra, you were hidden. Listen...There's something I thought you should know before tomorrow," He takes her hands in his and gently massages over her palms.

"A dark past?" She laughs quietly.

"Something like that," he chuckles back, "I want you to know that even though it's a line between Satan and God...There's always the between area. You may sin but yet be religiously worshipful of God. I only want what's best for you, so whatever you choose...I'll be there beside you."

She lays down into the bed more and stares at him still kneeling.

"What if I choose neither...What if all I want is a future, with you?" She sheepishly whispers.

"Cass, whatever you choose, I'll abdicate."

"I choose you."

He smiles slightly and traces over her facial features. The curve of her eyebrows, the slope of her nose, movement on her cheek, and then her outline of soft pink lips.

"I choose you, too." He whispers.

She grabs behind his neck and pulls him to her. Gently kissing James into ecstasy and their void.