Images in Her Mind

Cassandra wakes up in the middle of the night with only a blanket covering her naked body, strewn across another naked body.

"What are you doing awake Darling?" James's voice whispers from the body.

"I was just thinking..."

"About?"

"Us...I was thinking about us."

"Why us?" His voice even and calm.

"I want to know how you felt about maybe considering us a—"

"Cass..." His voice softens.

She traces over his serious muscles and waits.

"We can't have that...you know why. I wish everyday that I could give you something as great as that."

"James-James-james—"

His name plays on replay inside her mind.

The rain outside their window changes to dusk, her dress as bright as dawn as she stands in front of it, and James's tux as black as night.

"Just tell me what to do," James whispers to her.

"Stay with me."

"Okay."

Like smoke it airs away and through a vent in the city comes up and show Cassandra sitting in a chair watching her surroundings. She spots a black cloud and immediately runs after it.

Running across rows of traffic, cars beep and honk like crazy at her. Then a bus drives past her and she sees her reflection in the windows and someone else in the background. James.

She turns back around to nobody but business suits.

Melting away like wax on a candle it spins her mind to a dark room filled with mirrors. James's angry voice yelling at her.

"Is this what you wanted Cass? Did you want me to be this way? Did you want me to swoon and swear my life to lay down for you?"

"NO ALL I EVER WANTED WAS YOU!"

His Sympathetic face fades away and then they're back in Sanctum.

"I DONT CARE! TELL ME JAMES!" Cassandra demands over him.

"CASSANDRA, I CANT, IM SUPPOSED TO PROTECT YOU!"

"TELL ME!"

"N-"

"JAMES, SO HELP ME-"

"I FELL IN LOVE WITH YOU OKAY!" He answers back.

Cassandra was taken aback, not expecting that answer. He loves her? How could he? Why would he?

"I fell for you and that's a crime worth death."

That was the first time he said I love you to her she realized.