The Final Debate

****************************

"So, here are we." Neeta said standing in front of the two couples.

"Mom, you said the event will start at 6, but no one is here," Kiara said.

"Yes beta, but the thing is, Rahul never arrives of time, and I wanted to have a short discussion with you all. So, I told you all to be here by 5 and six respectively. I have heard Rajveer is always on time, and I'm impressed. You entered the hall at six sharp. Well, Rahul even was impressive. I told him to be here by 5, and he managed to arrive at the hall by 5 30. Good, you are improving."

What and why? - Diana thought.

"I know you all have so many questions in your mind. Oh before that, the event begins at 8 and everyone will be here after eight only." She smiled.

Let's get to the topic please! - Kiara said.

Neeta pulled a chair and sat next to Rahul.

"Mom..."

"Rahul, let me start, please..." Neeta smiled. "So, let's start from the very beginning because I don't know who knows what. So, I'll help you know about it in brief. Somewhere in December 2015, I got to know that Rahul was going to propose Diana and so before he could propose, I called Diana and told her to say 'No.'"

Rahul, Kiara, and Rajveer looked at Neeta in disbelief while Diana looked down.

"After that, Rahul came home, and I asked him if he wants to marry Kiara. He said yes in a flash second and somewhere in January 2016... Beta, do you remember the date?"

"16th January 2016," Kiara replied weakly.

"Good. So, on 16th January 2016, Kiara and Rahul got married. Soon, a couple of months later, I heard Rajveer and Diana got married. Now, when they are working on a movie together, I saw news articles that said Rahul and Diana were actually in love again. Usually, I don't believe in sh*tty news articles, but I did believe in this one. Any guesses why?" She looked at four of them. "Anyone? No? Okay, let me help you with this. The articles are written by Sid. We all know him at least, right?"

Everyone nodded.

"I admire his sources. Usually I don't admire sources of media persons, but this time, I admire them."

"Why?" Rahul asked.

"Beta, because I am the one who's giving him the updates." She smiled.

"What?!" She heard them say in chorus.

"Calm down. I know you all are feeling confused. But let me complete. So, yes. I was the one who was giving Sid the news to be posted. Paid media, you know. And no, it wasn't for your movie's promotion Rahul. It was because of the situation Kiara was going through."

Everyone looked at Kiara. Kiara widened her eyes. "My situation?"

"Yes. Remember, when I was talking to you while Rahul was shooting for the movie and when I called you, you looked depressed. Then, my sources told me... Before that, don't ask me for my sources." She smiled. "My sources told me that Rahul and Kiara's relationship was on a bumpy ride. So, I told Sid to come up with some interesting news articles related to Rahul and Diana."

"But that made our relationship worse," Kiara said.

"I know beta. Not every decision we take is right. I made a mistake in there. You can call it the misfired arrow. I'm sorry for that."

"But the question is, why did you ask Diana to say no?" Kiara asked.

"Hmm... Because she wasn't the right bride for my son." She looked at Diana, who was looking at Neeta in disbelief.