23.

"Jessica, are you okay?" Mom gets closer, smiling. I missed her so much, it was so much easier with her around.

"Yeah mom, I'm fine." I look at her, fake a smile and hug her. We pull out and I look at her in the eyes, trying to be ready for my confession.

"Mom? I thought you were British?" Andrew looks at me in confusion, I never told him about the whole I grew up with my mother deal. "And then there's you brother, what is this? A scam?"

"I'm not the British part in our family, their father is." Mom says, pointing at Tyler and I, completely honest. "She grew up with me, and he started speaking thanks to his British babysitter." She explains. Ugh, I hate this, why can't the whole naturalization processes end?

"Mom, Tyler, can we talk later?" I plead, not in the mood to discuss my problems. "We're doing that appointment today, just let's not talk about it now." I fake a smile, hoping I seem fine.

We're at the doctor's and we're currently waiting for Tyler's test results, they're out in like five minutes. Right after this, I'll have to go home, plaster a smile on my face to Andrew and give him his dose of business economics. I think this is the best time to tell mom that I've decided to stop drinking.

"Mom, I want to tell you something." I give her an uncomfortable face, lock my phone and breathe in.

"What's wrong Jess?" She knots her eyebrows, concerned.

"Mom, I've decided that I'll stop drinking alcohol." I tell her, breathing finally out. She seems speechless, but she's smiling. She opens her mouth to say something, but is cut off by the entrance of the doctor.

"Mrs. and Miss Styles, good evening." He shakes hands with both of us, sits down and looks at his papers. "Tyler's doing okay, the antibiotics aren't doing their job efficiently, so we'll have to add up to his prescription some corticosteroids."

"You know we're not doctors, so can you please just tell us if he's going to be fine or not?" Mom suggests, faking a hopeful smile.

"He will, hopefully he will." He assures us, giving us hope. "Mrs. Styles, can you please, let me talk privately to Miss Styles? She caught my eye." He smirks, ugh what a doctor. Mom nods, gets up, waves at me and gets out.

"I'm not going to date you." I clarify, harsh and direct.

"You think I was serious about that?" He scoffs, showing me his engagement ring. "Your brother's a mess, he needs a lung transplant." Okay, that was harsh, very harsh.

"Are you messing now?" I raise my eyebrows, shocked. Why are doctors good at lying?

"No I'm not. He did severe shit to his already damaged lungs." He tries to explain. "Your brother's blood group is O, I've already put him on the universal waiting list, all I need is your mother's signature so he gets accepted. It's a long list, but it's the only choice we've got."

"I can't tell my mother, you do that." I snap, pissed. I don't want to ruin my mother, she'll turn alcoholic, just like me.

"Look, I've been told I need to inform a family member about this, it's your job now, mine's achieved." He says.

"Good day." I stand up, and leave. I'm not going to tell her today, I'll figure out something for this. Now it's either I drink, smoke, or shout at everyone.

"What did he say?" Mom asks, winking.

"He gave me his number, won't call him anyway, I'm not in the mood for dating at the moment." I roll my eyes. "Now if you excuse me, I have a student to tutor, I'll go say goodbye to Tyler."