47.

It's been a year since I'm back in the United States. I work in Andrew's firm and it's good, Andrew isn't, though. He hates his job, he hates how he's responsible about everything, he hates his employees, he wishes his uncle was alive sometimes, and we sure as hell know that dude hated both our guts. He's this close to giving up the company but he knows his cousins won't let him.

In a few hours, there's this party for my manager, he's going to retire. The only thing that pisses me off about him is that he couldn't remember my name, I'm called Andrew's Girlfriend. It's annoying, how they acknowledge me by Andrew and not by me. But I cannot stop it.

"Andrew, you're ready for Hitchcock's party?" I knock on his door, I feel so bad for him, all he wants to do is art at the moment. Hitchcock is my boss' name. It takes him a while to notice my existence.

"Yeah, let's go." He's still staring at his laptop. I head to him, to see what he's doing. He's so innocent, he's looking at graffiti by Banksy. I'm pretty sure he wishes to be Banksy at the moment. I hold his hand and look him in the eyes.

"Look, I promise you, one day, one of your cousins is going to take this company and you'll be the artist you want to be." I smile at him.

"I wish it's soon enough." He rolls his eyes. All of his american cousins are either legally unable to work or working at the California branch or even the tiny Maryland one. None of his foreign cousins are financially stable for emigration.

"Let's go celebrate the departure of the creator of 'Andrew's Girlfriend'." I laugh it off.

"That doesn't mean it still won't exist," he stands up.

"Good morning, Jessica, or should I call you director of  Marketing and Business Affairs now?" Lisa, a Human Resources employee, approaches me. Andrew decided to promote me yesterday, at Hitchcock's party. Lisa's my friend and one of the few people that do not call me 'Andrew's Girlfriend'.

"Jessica as always." I laugh. "What is up?"

"The sky." She sarcastically answers, Lisa had such answers when she hasn't slept enough or hungover. "Just kidding, this is Lana Hashem, the newest employee in our firm, she'll be working in advertising. Considering advertising is part of Marketing, she'll be working around here. Good luck, Lana."

New employees are so cute, and this one's a first since I'm the boss this time. Lana's tall, she has short brown hair and wide eyes and I guess she has too much foundation on since she's one of those persons who don't sleep a lot since they're busy. I can relate to that.

"Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Jessica Styles, call me Jessica." I shake hands with her.

"My interview was with Mister Hitchcock, he was very happy with my experience and thoughts." She states, bragger much?

"Hitchcock used to be my boss until he retired." I smile at her, to reassure her. "Mind telling me where'd you graduated from?"

"The Institute of Art, in California." She replies, looking at the papers I'm giving her. That's funny, it reminds me of Andrew, that's where he went. But no one shall know about that in here at the moment.

"Well, go brainstorm ideas with your colleagues and I'll see you at four p.m., for our weekly meeting with the Managing Partner." I sit down again and continue looking at profits.

Andrew and I were kissing until we were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. We weren't making out or anything, I could promise. Plus, there are like fifteen minutes left for our meeting. I know it's completely unprofessional, but it's very occasional.

"Miss Styles, I guess I'm-" Lana starts but her eyes widen when she sees Andrew.

"Early? You sure as hell are." Andrew continues for her. He's never been that rude to an employee, maybe when he's extremely nervous, but he'd apologize after. What's going on?

"Are you two dating?" Lana asks, none of her business, specially that it's her first day.

"Guess it is none of your business?" Andrew scoffs, "what brings you here?"

"Marketing and Advertising meeting?" She sarcastically replies.

"Oh yeah right," Andrew rolls his eyes. And before I get to say anything, the test of the employees are here.

"Thank you, everyone for attending this meeting, have a nice evening." Andrew stands up, gives me a look and leaves the room. I know we were sort of unprofessional a while ago, but most of time, we keep it in our pants. Andrew isn't very demonstrative of what he thinks of the advertising ideas, because if he does, everyone will know that he went to an art institute.

"Thank you everyone, I will study your prepositions with Mister Haddad and tell you what we can modify next time." I stand up and head out. "I'm leaving in fifteen minutes, so if anyone wants to talk to me about work, you know what to do."

"You were remarkably rude to Lana today." I tell Andrew, taking a bite of my salad.

"Well, you know how I feel about my reputation in this company." He states, sort of pissed. "How was your first day as manager?" Why is he changing subjects? I feel he know something about her that I don't.

"It was great, no one calls me Andrew's Girlfriend anymore." I fake a smile. I hate it when he's not demonstrative. Angelina's asleep, she was so tired of school today, I've never seen her that desperate to sleep. "Jake called me today."

"What does he want? Because I'm not giving that bastard money." He rolls his eyes. Andrew hates Jake's guts, but as he wishes.

"Jake's visiting us this Christmas. He has a short internship at a hospital here, you know, for his psychology shit and I let him stay here." I sigh, stand up and fill water in a glass.

"As long as I don't talk to him and he doesn't talk to me, I'm good." He shrugs.

"Andrew, little problem, I'm spending Christmas in Maryland." I tell him, I have to spend Christmas in Washington DC so Tyler doesn't notice I'm back with Andrew. "Tyler doesn't know about us just yet and I really don't need to blow up my cover."

"I don't know how he hasn't gone suspicious in two years, two fucking years." Andrew scoffs. "I think I should tell him."

"And get beaten up again? No thank you." I widen my eyes. "He's going to know soon, I promise you."

I am heading to my office now, but I have to stop by Andrew's office first, to say good morning and all. I didn't directly go to the firm today, I had to drop Angelina off to school and meet with some of he teachers.

I look at his office, Lana's inside, and I can notice they're both speaking in Arabic. Looking at their facial expressions, they seem sort of pissed. It's Lana's second day and she's already fighting with our Managing Partner, in Arabic. Guess I've got to get in and end this conflict.

"Andrew, Lana, is everything alright?" I ask, worried.

"Truth is, Jessica-" Lana replies but is cut off by Andrew.