Struggle #3

"Kacey...Kacey slow down!" Jayla exclaims behind me as we weave between the mass of after school teens. We were sitting at one of the tables in the food court eating our ice cream, when a boy walked by wearing the coolest denim jacket I've ever seen. It had a lot of studs and rips and embellishments that I can already picture Mindless Behavior, or mainly Princeton, wearing on stage. So me and Jayla are pushing through people trying to catch him.

  I grab Jayla as she nearly bumps into an old lady, and pull her to my side. We lock arms and advance forward together.

  "What are you even gonna say when we catch up to this kid? 'Hi I like your vest, can I have it?'" Jayla asks, doing her best impression of me. I shrug and struggle to keep up as the boy heads towards a sneaker store. I shove a little boy out the way and he stumbles into his mother. Jayla gasps and blurts an apology over her shoulder, we laugh afterwards and swerve to the side to avoid slamming into one of the cosmetics booths.

  Just as the boy walks into Foot Locker my hand shoots out and grabs his shoulder. He whirls around like he's ready to punch me in the face but soon relaxes once he realizes I'm no threat. His brown eyes crinkle as he looks between Jayla and I. "Um, hi?"

  "Hi. I'm Kacey!" I chirp, "And this is Jayla." I tilt my head towards her and she flashes a tiny grin. "What's your name?"

  The boy's eyes linger on Jayla for moment before he looks at me again. "Treyvon..." He replies slowly in a confused way. "Can I help y'all?"

  "Actually yes. You're vest is really cool, where'd you get it?" I ask him instantly.

  He glances down at his vest like he forgot he was wearing it. "I'm not sure, it was a Christmas gift from my sister."

  "Wow," I breath out. "She has amazing taste."

  Treyvon shrugs, "Yeah I guess..." He glances at Jayla again who's checking some sneakers on a nearby shelf. I watch as his eyes look her up and down, twinkling a little at the pretty view.

  I smirk at him, "I'll give you her number if you give me your vest."

  "What!?" Jayla exclaims, whipping her head around to look at me.

  Treyvon chuckles a little, a smooth throaty laugh like he's nervous. "Uh, I don't think she's comfortable with that. Neither am I."

  "Ooh, I'll take a picture then. Do you mind?" I ask him. He opens his mouth but I already whip out my phone and slide open the camera. I begin taking pictures of the vest, walking around him in circles to get every angle.

  He watches me with a fearful look in his eyes as I circle him like a hungry wolf. I laugh and snap another picture, "Don't look so nervous. I don't bite, I promise." I say sweetly, trying to calm his tense posture. He just looks at me weirdly as I snap a few more close ups of the studs.

  "Why are you violating my brother!?" A familiar nasally voice screeches behind me. I turn around to find London heading my way, an iced coffee settled in her hand. She's changed out of her clothes from earlier and into a pink floral dress with a Peter Pan collar. Her wedge sandals click against the tile as she approaches me with a scowl on her face. She comes to a stop in front of me, waiting for me to reply.

  "I'm just taking a picture of his vest. No one was violating anyone London," I say her name like its a disease before looking between her and Treyvon. They both share the same shiny, slick hair texture along with the same wide shaped eyes. "I didn't even know you had a brother."

  "You don't need to be creeping in my life." London snaps. "And stop taking pictures of him, you're so weird."

  "No I'm a winner." I snap back. "I'm creating an outfit for mindless behavior's contest and your brothers vest gave me inspiration."