Struggle #5

I wake up to the sound of my alarm clock playing Bang Bang and rub the sleep out my eyes. I click the snooze button and the song cuts off in the middle of the chorus. The sun spills into my room and I blink a few times to clear the grogginess from my eyes.

I lean across my bed and reach for my laptop at the foot of the bed. I boot it up before opening my email and scrolling through my mail. Wattpad updates, twitter messages, Keek updates, but nothing confirming that I won the contest. I sent in the designs a couple days ago and even though the announcement date isn't until two weeks, I'm still checking everyday just in case.

After going through my twitter time line for 20 minutes, I finally go into the bathroom to brush and wash my face. I head downstairs and into the kitchen where Kyle is sitting at the table eating toast and cereal.

"Hey," I say sweetly. He nods at me before bringing his bowl to his lips and drinking the rest of the milk. I roll my eyes before opening the freezer and taking out some frozen French toast and putting them in the toaster oven. I wonder why I even try being nice to him.

My mother comes downstairs already dressed in her day clothes. She pours her coffee into her favorite mug and takes a soothing sip. My mom practically lives on coffee, I guess she kind of has too since she's always on her toes with her catering buisness.

"Good morning," I beam brightly towards her.

"Morning sweetie," my mother glances at me then does a double take. "What are you doing still in your pajamas? I told you last night we're heading to your aunts house to see her new baby and you know that drive is at least an hour and a half."

I yawn and check my French toast in the toaster oven. "My bad, I was up late last night."

"Doing?" My mother asks me.

"Summer reading," I lie easily. There's no way I'm telling her that I was up going through my tumblr all night, scrolling through my dashboard and creating a new theme. I was also examining everyone's designs, some are so basic I don't even think they tried.

My mother shoots me a doubtful looks, "Uh huh. Just hurry up and eat so we can go. And I swear if you and your brother argue in the car you're going to wish you were never given the ability to talk." Her eyes narrow on each of our faces. "Understand?"

We nod quickly and she disappears back upstairs. Kyle looks at me, "She must have catering orders piling up." He says. I nod in agreement and take my food out, putting it on a plate with some syrup and heading back to my room.

I quickly eat and pick out some clothes before going into the bathroom to take a shower and wash my hair. Afterwards I throw on some shorts and my "love is all you need" shirt before meeting my mom and brother downstairs. We go outside and pile into the car to make our trip to Aunt Shannon's house.

An hour and a half of being in the car with my brother is not something I can put up with. All he does and fart and try to rap along to whatever song is on the radio. But of course I told my mom that we wouldn't argue and that's really hard when Kyle is constantly kicking my seat for no reason. Thank God we finally arrive at my Aunt Shannon's house. I'm the first one out the car to breath in the fresh air. I bound up the steps and knock on her door rapidly.

After a few minutes the door swings open and my Aunt Shannon happily beams at me. "We'll if it isn't my favorite niece!" She exclaims.

I laugh, "I'm you're only niece."

"Exactly," she says. I giggle and hug her tightly before my mom and brother appear behind me. "Hey guys, Imani is in the living room holding the baby, come on in."