Struggle #50

The first day of school did not go well for me.

 See I started out my day by waking up and feeling refreshed and excited. I actually woke up ten minutes before my alarm was set to go off and didnt even bother going back to sleep. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth before returning to me room in search of something to announce that I'm back and better than ever.

 I choose my grey jeans, a purple shirt with a gold bow on it and my denim vest. I pull on my black converse and strap my bookbag onto my back before smiling at myself at the mirror. I'm determined to start fresh at school. This is the new Kacey. The bold Kacey. The focused Kacey. The kick ass Kacey.

 Jogging downstairs, I make myself a quick breakfeast of Eggo waffles and an apple. By the time I'm done, Kyle is stumbling down the stairs, still dressed in his spiderman t-shirt and boxers. He rubs his eyes and yawns before his lip curls up in a sad pout. "i don't wann go back to school!" He  half yawns half whines again.

 My parents come downstairs too, my mom in some sweatpants and t-shirt, my dad in his regular dress pants and button down shirt with a tie. "Good morning!" I chirp to them.

 They beam at me, "Good morning," my mother's eyesbrowarches slightly. "Why are you so happy this morning."

 I smile and shrug, "I just feel like today is going to be a good day. I'm actually ready to go back to school and see how everyone has changed. Maybe meet some new students, gain some new friends." I take a bite of my waffle but I'm too excited to gobble the rest down like I usually do.

 My father sits down across from me, unfolding the newspaper as my mother makes coffee. He eyes me as he flips to the sports section, "Kacey you already know people at school are going to talk about you. Everyones going to want to know what happened over the summer and I don't want you telling them anything you're not comfortable enough to share with them. Ok?"

 "Trust me, I'm keeping my mouth shut. Other than the fun time I had, I'm not telling anyone about the drama." I admit truthfully.

 "Seriously Kacey, if they give you a hard time--"

 "I can handle this, ok mom? I'm not worrying about them, they havent worried about me for the past four years that I've been at the school so I'm not going to feed into their gossip."

 Kyle whines again, "Do I really have to go to school? I'm the brother of a girl thats been in the spotlight all summer. I'll get hounded with questions too."

 I laugh and shake my head, "Sorry midget, it doesnt work like that. If I can handle it then so can you."

 Too bad I didn't know at that moment that I wouldn't be able to handle it.

 When I arrive at the school, I climb the eight steps to the doors and step inside to find the hallways filled with confused freshmen, confident sophmores, too cool for school juniors and cocky Seniors. The hallway is filled with alot of "i miss you's" "I want to gome home's" and "you look so nice's." Outstretched arms are flailing around the room as students rush into eachothers arms to exchange hugs  and excited squeals.

 I push through everyone and scamper to the safety of my locker to escape all the chaos. The halls smell like new shoes, perfume, cologne, hair spray and lemon scented floor cleanser. I reach my locker to find Jayla already leaning against it, talking to some girl from my chemistry class last semester. Jayla catches my eye and waves goodbye to the girl, signaling that it's time for her to go. The girl nods and flashes me a quick smile as she proceeds down the hall. Jayla looks me up and down then smirks.

 "Look whos all dolled up for school. What happened to there being no one to dress up for and impress?" She ask me, quoting what I told her multiple times before.