Struggle #41

My  throat is so dry. It hurts to even swallow my saliva. It feels weird, like it's puffy or something. It also feels a little scratchy, causing me to cough, trying to relieve the feeling. My coughing fit wakes me up, my eyes fly open as I sit up quickly, pressing my palm against my chest. I look around on the nighstand and notice a glass of water next to the lamp, I grab the cool glass and take big gulps of water to calm the irritating sensation. Instant relief floods my throat and I sigh, letting my hand flop down into my lap.

 I look around my hotel bedroom, sunlight spills in through the window and I squint until my eyes adjust. How did I get back in bed? Why's the hotel so quiet? Where is everyone? These thoughts swirl around in my head until I notice the tuff of hair spilling across one of my pillows. My heart leaps. Did I pass out and sleep walk into someone elses hotel room then climb into their bed? Did someone come in while I was sleeping, thinking its their hotel and fall asleep beside me? Cautiously, I reach over and use my finger to poke the person gently.

 "Ouch," A familar voice says before sitting up and looking over at me. "Oh good you're up. Now why did you poke me in the eye?"

 "Prince?" I say, letting out a relieved voice. "Omigod I thought you were some random person." He laughs and rubs the eye I just poked him in. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, "Why are you in my bed?"

 Princeton touseles his afro, his sloppy curls hanging across his forehead. He stretches and yawns before answering me, "I was keeping an eye on you. Everyone else went to go pick up dinner, Prod was gonna stay with you but Latimore wanted to introduce him to his new label mate. So I volunteered to stay. I needed a good nap anyway." His voice sounds groggy in a sleepy-sexy way.

 "Stay with me for what?" I wonder, confused about what he's saying.

 "You don't remember what happened?" I shake my head no. All I remember is coming into the hotel with Prod, the events that come after that are blurry. This worries me, what happened that made me forget everything else and wake up in the bed? Prince reads the panicked expression on my face, "You ate one of London's cupcakes and they had peanut butter in it. You had an allergic reaction and passed out on the floor. You scared the hell out of me, Kacey. I literally screamed when I saw you on the floor like that and I yelled at Roc to go get Keisha."

 "That was you?" I ask him, remembering someones voice before I blacked out.

 Princeton nods, "Yeah, everyone was a little shaken up over it. Prod helped me get you to the bed though, then Walter came in and Joya found your epi-pen. It freaked me out when he stabbed it into your leg like that but I guess it help cuz you stopped turning red and started breathing again." I lightly touch my leg to see if the spot that Walter stuck in the epi-pen in is still tender. "A medic came in and took your blood pressure and heart rate. He gave you anit-itch cream and said you have to keep drinking liquids until your swollen throat goes back to normal."

 My memory comes back and I remember London's smug smirk as I freaked out about the peanut butter. She knew I was allergic. She used to throw Reese's wrappers at me in the lunch room just to see me scream and spazz out. She threw a peanut at me once too and it bounced off my arm, I had to go to the nurse to get treated for the red rash that formed there afterwards. I look down at my arms, tiny red hves are spread across them an ugly manner. Infuriation floods through me as I think about how I could have died. London would literally kill me just to get me out the picture.

 "Prince you know she did that to me on purpose right?" I ask him, "We've been going to school together for a long time and she tortures me with every chance she gets."

 "What is with you two?" His thick eyebrows knit together as he looks at me. "You two are constantly down eachothers throats for no reason. If you're not arguing you're trying to kill eachother...literally. You both need to cut it out, it's getting old."