Chapter 4

Peter, Gwen, Gamora, the raccoon, Rocket and the tree, Groot were all taken to Nova Headquarters. They were each taken for an evaluation. After Peter, Gwen was the last one to be evaluated. She stood there, arms crossed over her chest as she stared at Corpsman Dey who was on the other side of the glass.

"Princess Gwendalyn of Kosmo but goes by the name of Gwen Pierce. She is believed to be the last of the Kosmonian race. She was sent to Terra the day she was born because her planet was under attack. She grew up and works alongside Peter Quill. Gwen also has the ability to turn any form of energy into physical blasts" Corpsman Dey said. He gave a bow to Gwen and she took that as her cue to leave.

~

They were taken to The Kyln which was a high security prison. They were all walking in a line. In front was Gamora, then it was Rocket, Gwen, Peter and Groot.

"I guess most of Nova Corps wanna uphold the laws, but these ones here, they're corrupt and cruel. But, hey, that's not my problem. I ain't gonna be here long. I've escaped twenty two prisons. This one's no different. You two are lucky the broad showed up cause otherwise Groot and I would be collecting that bounty right now and you two would be getting drawn and quartered by Yondu and those Ravagers" Rocket said.

"I've had a lot of folks try to kill me over the years. I ain't about to be brought down by a tree and a talking raccoon" Peter said

"What's a raccoon?" Rocket asked. Gwen rolled her eyes.

"What's a raccoon, it's what you are stupid" Peter said

"Ain't no thing, like me, except me" Rocket said

"So, this Orb has a real shiny blue suitcase, Ark of the Covenant, Maltese Falcon sort of vibe. What is it?" Peter asked

"I am Groot"

"So what? What's the orb?" Peter asked again

"I have no words for an honorless thief and kidnapper" Gamora said. Gwen managed to look back at Peter. She had the same confused look as he did. 'Kidnapper' he mouthed. Gwen shrugged and faced forward again.

"Pretty high and mighty coming from the lackey of a genocidal maniac. Yeah, I know who you are. Anyone who's anyone knows who you are" Rocket said

"Yeah, we know who you are. Who is she?" Peter asked Groot

"I am Groot"

"Yeah, you said that" Peter said

"I wasn't retrieving the orb for Ronan. I was betraying him. I had an agreement to sell it to a third party" Gamora explained

"Well I don't see what any of that has to do with you taking me as well" Gwen finally spoke

"Like I said, I was protecting you" Gamora said

"I am Groot"

"Well that's just as fascinating as the first eighty nine times you've told me that. What is wrong with giving tree here?" Peter asked

"Well he don't know talking like me and you so his vocabulistics is limited to "I" and "am" and "Groot" exclusively in that order" Rocket said

"I feel that's going to wear real thin, real fast" Gwen said. They stopped walking and stopped in front of a room where a blue man was listening to Peter's walkman. Both Peter and Gwen noticed this.

"Hey, put that away" Peter said. He stepped into the room before the door could close.

"Listen to me you big blue bastard. Take those headphones off. That's mine. Those belong to impound. That tape and player is mine!" Peter said. The blue man tazed him. Peter fell to his knees.

"Hooked On A Feeling, Blue Swede, 1973. That song belongs to me!" Peter said. Peter was tazed again and Gwen closed her eyes. She couldn't stand watching her best friend get hurt.

~

It came Gwen's turn for her 'shower'. She was stripped down to her bra and underwear and showered in an orange liquid. When she was finished, she was thrown some yellow clothes. She was shoved into a room, where Peter was already dressing. She turned around and caught Peter staring at her. Gwen immediately began to feel self-conscious. It wasn't necessarily because of her body weight but the silver markings weren't just on her arms. They were all over her abdomen as well. She quickly got dressed and met Peter's eyes. He flashed a smile at her and she did the same thing.

~

They were all taken to the main room of the prison. Gwen, being as nervous as she was, stayed close to Peter. She felt him grab her hand, which calmed Gwen's nerves. As they were walking, many prisoners looked at Gwen and bowed their heads in respect. 'Wow. Even prisoners show my people respect' Gwen thought to herself. Peter noticed this and looked at Gwen in confusion.

"Why are they all bowing their heads to you like you're some kind of goddess?" Peter asked. Gwen figured it was time for Peter to know who she actually was.

"Well Peter, I'm-" Gwen was interrupted by something hitting her head. She looked up at a group of prisoners and glared at them. When they realized who they threw it at, they quickly bowed their heads. Then they started throwing things at Gamora and threatening her. Gwen felt bad for her. Her people and Gamora's people were close to each other and Gamora does anything she can to protect Gwen. Maybe Gwen can show Gamora respect by trying to keep her safe.

"Like I said, she's got a rep. Lot's of prisoners in here have lost their families to Ronan and his goons. She'll last a day, tops" Rocket said

"The guards will protect her, won't they?" Gwen asked

"They're here to stop us from getting out. They don't care what we do to each other inside" Rocket said

"Whatever nightmare, the future holds, are dreams compared to what's behind me" Gamora said. Gwen let go of Peter's hand to go over to Gamora but that was quickly stopped when a big blue alien was in front of her.

"Check out the new meat. I'm gonna slather you up in Gunavian jelly, and go to town..." Gwen started to feel uncomfortable when he stroked her face. Not only Peter felt angry by his actions but also Gamora. Groot came to Gwen's rescue and stuck his fingers up the blue aliens nose. He lifted him up. Peter quickly went over to Gwen and held her. He began to rub her arm.

"Let's make something clear. This one here is our booty. You wanna get to her, you go through us. Or, more accurately, we go through you" Rocket said. Groot dropped the blue alien and he clutched his nose in pain. Gwen looked down at him. She then glanced at Rocket and Groot.

"I'm with them. I'm also taken by Peter here so hands off of me. If you know my race, you treat me with respect" Gwen said, stepping away from Peter and following Rocket and Groot. Peter stared at her as she walked away. He couldn't help but feel happy when she said she was taken by him but also a little confused when she said 'my race'