Chapter 5

Their sleeping quarters weren't that comfortable. They didn't get a bed, blanket or pillow. It was just in a group on the floor. Gwen and Peter were side-by-side. Gwen couldn't help but smile when she felt Peter wrap his arm around her waist and pull her closer to him. Then she also let her mind wander to Gamora. Gwen was worried about and felt that Gamora's cell wasn't enough to keep her safe. Gwen heard voices and looked up. She saw a group of prisoners taking Gamora away. She gently removed Peter's arm from her and followed them. Peter didn't wake up but Rocket did.

"Pierce, what are you doing?" Rocket mumbled. Gwen looked at him and ignored him. She followed the prisoners. Rocket did what he had to do and wake up Peter.

"Quill! Get up" Rocket said. Peter opened his eyes.

"What do you want?" Peter said

"That girlfriend of yours just left and followed a group of prisoners" Rocket said. That caused Peter to get up. Both he and Rocket followed Gwen.

~

Gwen slowly followed the prisoners all the way to the showers. She saw the prisoners holding Gamora against the wall. One of them had a blade to her throat.

"You dare?" a loud voice said. Gwen took that as a cue to hide. The man who had said it was blue with red markings all over. Gwen tried to figure out his race but it came to a blank. He slowly approached Gamora.

"You know who I am, yes?" the man asked

"You're Drax the Destroyer" one of the prisoners said

"And you know why they call me this?" Drax asked

"You slayed dozens of Ronan's minions" the prisoner said

"Ronan murdered my wife, Ovette, and my daughter, Camaria. He slaughtered them where they stood. And he laughed!" Drax said

"Pierce" Gwen heard a faint whisper. She ignored it.

"Her life is not yours to take. He killed my family. I shall kill one of his in return" Drax said

"Of course, Drax. Here" the prisoner said, handing him the knife. Gwen was about ready to step in and help Gamora when she started defending herself. Still, Gwen took a step forward when she felt a hand on hers. She looked and saw that Peter and Rocket followed her.

"What do you think you're doing?" Peter asked

"Helping her, now let me go Quill!" Gwen said in a harsh whisper. She tugged her hand away and continued making her way towards Gamora.

"I am no family to Ronan or Thanos. I'm your only hope at stopping him" Gamora said. Drax grabbed Gamora by the throat and held her to the wall.

"Woman, your words mean nothing to me!" Drax said. Gwen quickly stepped in.

"Hey!" Gwen said. Everyone took attention of her.

"Your highness, leave before you get hurt or killed" Gamora managed to speak

"No Gamora. I need to do this. You know, if killing Ronan is truly your sole purpose, I don't think this is the best way to go about it" Gwen said.

"Are you not the woman this wench attempted to kill?" Drax asked

"No, it's quite the opposite really. She tried to kill my friend Peter. But hardly she's the first woman to try and kill him. Gamora was trying to protect me. You see, her people show my people a whole lot of respect and would do anything to...and you don't care, but here's the point. She betrayed Ronan. He's coming back for her and when he does, that's when you" Gwen said, sliding her finger against her neck.

"Why would I put my finger on his throat?" Drax asked

"It's a symbol for you slicing his throat" Gwen said

"I will not slice his throat. I will cut his head clean off" Drax said

"It's a general expression for you killing someone, you know what, it doesn't matter. What I'm saying is, you want to keep her alive. Don't do his work for him" Gwen said. Drax let go of Gamora. She landed on the ground with a thud. Gwen immediately went over to Gamora to help her. Gwen held out a hand for her. Gamora took it and Gwen helped her up.

"Thank you, your highness but you really didn't have to do that. I protect you" Gamora said

"I had to. You protect me, I protect you. Oh, and please call me Gwen" Gwen said. Drax looked at us for a moment before speaking.

"I like this knife. I'm keeping it" Drax said and then left.

"That was my favorite knife" the prisoner said. Gwen looked at Gamora again.

"I'll take you back to your cell" Gwen said

"I'll be fine, you- Gwen" Gamora corrected herself. Gamora then walked off but not before bowing her head to Gwen. 'Something tells me she's not one for friends' Gwen then left and soon she was pulled off to the side. She was face to face with an angry Peter.

"What the hell were you thinking!?" Peter asked

"She goes out of her way to protect me! I figured it wouldn't hurt to return the favour! How did you even know where I was? You were sleeping when I left" Gwen said

"The raccoon told me" Peter said. Gwen crossed her arms and glared at Rocket.

"What the hell?" Gwen said

"Hey, you're a princess and you're worth a lot of money. I don't need you getting killed" Rocket said. With that, Rocket walked off leaving Peter and Gwen alone.

"What does he mean princess?" Peter asked. Gwen sighed and looked down.

"Peter, I have a lot to tell you about me but I don't want to do it while we're in this hell hole" Gwen said. Peter placed his fingers under Gwen's chin and tilted her head up.

"We're going to get out of here, alright? Rocket has an escape plan" Peter said

"Good" Gwen said

"And please don't walk off on me like that again. If I lose you, I don't know what I'd do without you" Peter said. Gwen smiled.

"I promise I won't ever leave your side again" Gwen said

"I need a pinkie promise" Peter said, holding up his pinkie with a smirk on his face. Gwen wrapped her pinkie around his.

"There. Now the promise is official" Gwen said.