Chapter 23

Before Ophelia could start lowering her sword, Gwen put herself in between it and Peter. Ophelia ceased her actions immediately. Gwen had her head resting on Peter's chest while his arms were now wrapped protectively around her.

"Daughter, what are you doing?"

"If you kill Peter, you have to kill me as well" Gwen said.

"Move out of the way, Gwendalyn!" Ophelia demanded

"First of all, it's Gwen" she started, narrowing her eyes at Ophelia. "Secondly, why can't you accept that Peter and I love each other? Is it any different than the love that you and father feel for each other?" Gwen could feel the tears swelling in her eyes, and Ophelia's expression suddenly softened. She lowered her weapon and dropped it to the ground. She looked to her husband, who was also wearing a softer face.

"You're right" Ophelia said

"Wait, I'm right?"

"Yes. If you're so willing to sacrifice yourself for Peter, then you must truly do love him. Your father and I have no right to interfere with that. We have always thought that love never lasted between two people who are of different races. That's why we wanted to marry someone of Kosmonian background. It's obvious that you two are meant to be together. You have our blessing" Ophelia said. She offered her hands to Peter and Gwen, and helped both of them up. Now everyone was smiling, except one person in particular.

"What!? How can you be okay with this!?" Quentin screamed. 

"It is true love that Gwen and Peter share for each other Quentin, and I now see that. It is no place of mind to meddle in, and neither should you" Ophelia said.

"No, no, no! I had everything planned! I was going to marry Gwendalyn so I could become the Kosmonian prince. Then I was going to kill you and Xavier so we'd be crowned as King and Queen. I would have then eventually murdered Gwendalyn so I could be the sole ruler! But, these Guardians of the Galaxy ruined everything. The Terran ruined everything! Now, he and the others must die!" Quentin raised his sword and charged right for Peter.

"You are not to harm him!" Ophelia said. Before Quentin could attack Peter, an energy shield had surrounded him. When Quentin struck the shield, the sword broke. Gwen then shot a blast of energy at him, which made him fall to the ground. She towered above him.

"Do you realize how pathetic you look right now?" Gwen said. A couple of guards came over, pulled Quentin to his feet, and cuffed him.

"Quentin, I hereby exile you from Kosmo. You will be sent to a planet of mine and Xavier's choosing, you are not to know what it is. You are also never to return to Kosmo. If you do, your punishment will be death. Is that understood?" Ophelia said

"I will get my revenge. On you, and your precious Guardians" Quentin said. He was then led away by the guards. 

"How could I have been so foolish to trust him?" Ophelia said

"We all make mistakes, mom, but we also learn from them" Gwen said. Ophelia smiled at her daughter.

"Guardians, I do hope you can forgive me and my husband. Especially you Peter. We can see how happy you make our daughter, and that makes you one of us. All of you, in fact" Ophelia said. 

"We forgive you, your Majesties" Peter said.

"No need to be so formal with us! Please call us Xavier and Opehlia" Xavier said.

"How about now we have a proper celebration? An honoring ceremony?" Ophelia said.

"Now that's a great plan right there" Rocket said.