Chapter 23: Inside the Crimson Guild

The well sprung carriage balanced the weight evenly throughout the chassis as it made its way across London's older cobblestoned roads. Cain peered out, drawing back the velvet curtains overhanging the windows to watch the steady and seamless passing of the west end's more wealthy boroughs.

"So, I haven't seen you for a few days at the clubs. Don't tell me the English way of life has already outlived its amusement?" Cain enquired with jovial ease.

Marco laughed placing the flat of his Toledo blade across his knee to shine, "On the contrary, I am enjoying it immensely. I have already strolled along the West End and taken in a performance at the Opera."

"At which you were seen making an excellent impression with the actresses," Cain snickered.

Marco turned sharply to his friend with shrewd questioning eyes.

"Don't look at me that way, mi amigo. I was told that juicy little morsel by no less than three people in the course of the last twenty-four hours."

The Spanish Captain appeared discomforted at the notion of people he didn't know discussing his coming and goings.

"You can't run around with light skirts and expect the ton not to take notice, especially when you do it so openly," Cain continued. "Mothers are already reportedly warning their daughters against you."

"Well, that I do not mind so much." Marco preened like the only stallion at a stud.

"I wouldn't get too comfortable if I were you. Once word leaks out that you are also a noble, and with a connection to your own royal family to boot, the mothers of the ton will be pushing every available daughter into your path hoping that you will trip and propose marriage as you fall."

Marco raised a single brow, "Unlikely."

"Yes, well I didn't make the rules. Now where am I taking you today?" Cain asked as he eased back into the plush upholstery. He had travelled far too much in the last few days and it was beginning to take its toll.

"The Crimson Guild."

Cain's eyes expanded and he was momentarily reminded of Verushka's amusing expression.

"Reeeally?" He responded slyly. "Stoking the fires of a decadent persona before your boat has even properly docked?"

Marco almost rolled his eyes, "It isn't like that."

"Sure it isn't." Cain conceded and contented himself with his inspection beyond the window once more.

"I don't suppose you will be coming in, or are you maintaining that farce about you being engaged?" Marco questioned with an incredulous smile.

"We are all just products of our environment," Cain grinned with an air of false modesty. "There was certainly no way I was going to sit through another season as the prized bull. If all it takes is a pretend betrothal in order to get some peace around here then I am happy to oblige."

"And that is all that it is? You are not still chasing that maid's tail?"

Cain shifted uncomfortable, "What maid?"

"Oh, don't play games with me old friend. I know your tricks too well and let's not forget that I saw you at your mother's dinner making an ass of yourself."

"I was most certainly not." Cain turned back affronted.

"Sure you weren't." Marco appeased in similar mocking tones to his friend's earlier remarks, then nudged Cain's elbow with his own. "So, what's her name? Kitty? Ginny? Gigi?" He broke off into laughter after a string of pathetic stereotypical guesses.