Chapter 41 Part 2: ... In Regnum Defende

[Welcome Agents! Congratulations on achieving 250 votes! No door remains locked to you.]

Albert withdrew his body from over Victoria's, an instant shield in the face of danger. He turned his head around and she peeped over his shoulder to see that the would-be assassin was quickly surrounded and seized.

Albert's hand sought his Queen's and gripped her fingertips with earnest concern. "My God! My dear, don't be alarmed."

Victoria's voice was steady as she squeezed his in return. "I assure you, I am not in the least frightened." The young queen quickly surveyed the scene. Several dozen people were milling around as the criminal was being led away and more were fast filling up the park beyond and the road ahead. The people shifted, gasped and clung to one another before their gazes turned to her. She could see their anger as they watched the assassin go, before their anxious eyes turned to her for guidance. She would not fail them, not now and not ever. If there was one thing that her Uncle had taught her, it was that a Queen was only as strong as her people.

"Albert, direct the Postillion to drive on," she instructed resolutely. "We are to act as if nothing has happened and continue our ride."

"Are you sure?" Albert queried concerned.

"We must show my public that we have not lost all confidence in them." Victoria raised herself once more to her seat and dusted the lint from her gown with lily white gloves.

Albert gave the orders and they were immediately surrounded by an escort of equerries and members of the Metropolitan Police. However, as they reached Green Park Arch, Albert felt the hesitation in his wife's demeanour.

"Are you quite well, my dear?"

"Yes," Victoria smiled knowingly to a Spanish soldier as they passed by. "Except, I am just considering how fast news of this incident will travel and I do not wish to alarm the Duchess of Kent. I feel it is only right that we tell Mama in person before we complete our ride."

Albert nodded and swiftly directed the carriage to veer south down Grosvenor Place to the Duchesses residence at Ingestre House. They rolled into the immense square, passing the private central gardens filled with chestnut and lime trees, whose soothing shade was forbidden to overhang onto the streets. The droshky stopped at number thirty-six, a corner grand white stuccoed house on the south-east terrace and Victoria was admitted with haste.

The Duchess of Kent immediately appeared in the foyer wearing a plush afternoon gown of magnolia pink and a stricken expression. "Alexandrina? Whatever is the matter?"

"I am perfectly well, Mama," Victoria soothed. She despised when her mother addressed her by her childhood name, but it was not the time to object. "Shall we adjourn to the sitting room? You may ring for some tea, for this afternoon's sun has made me quite parched."

The Duchess of Kent nodded distractedly and followed her daughter into her own parlour, as several servants flew into action. Albert excused himself to arrange for their departure later and the door was shut on the two women. Victoria seated herself in a stream of fading light and watched the beginning of dusk filter through the large bay windows. It wasn't every day that one had a brush with death, but she seemed doomed to her father's curse. The Duchess of Bexley had been correct, as usual. The attempts on the throne would not stop with her succession. Her posture wilted for a moment and she let a soft sigh slip through her small lips.

"Are you well, my darling child?" The Duchess of Kent inquired tentatively.

"Yes, Mama." Victoria nodded, and then quickly apprised her mother of the recent situation with as much care as possible to avoid startling her nerves. But despite the gentle inflection of her voice, Victoria noted the tremors in the older woman's hands as they lay curled in her lap. The two had had their differences over the years but the eyes that met hers now were swimming with tears and Victoria realised that in the end, a mother's love was... a mother's love.