Chapter 34 Part 2- The Wyvernstone Ball

Jay took a deep breath and made his way to the glassed garden doors with the speed of a man in very real danger of falling in love. He preferred not to face the thought of how often Mina frequented his mind, but the idea of her sun soaked skin separated from him by a thin sheet of glass was far too tempting.

The cool air washed over his face as he stepped into the night and he studiously avoided the gazes of several couples mid embrace. He had deduced that Mina would no longer be lingering at the doorway searching for a glimpse of her friend. After all, almost three quarters of an hour had passed since Verushka's grand entrance and that was a long time to wait without food.

Jay slid into the glasshouse adjacent to the ballroom and proceeded silently to the orangery that spiced the night air with its citrus scented fruit. It still offered a view of some of the dancing while being concealed within the blossoming foliage. Treading between potted herbs with care he heard the distinctive sounds.

Crack. Rip. Slurp.

"Mmm..."

Jay rounded the corner and looked down upon his maid seated cross-legged on the floor with a bunch of oranges in her lap, mid peel.

"Oh, hello?" Mina scrunched the corner of her lips in a wince. How the hell did he find her?

"I think we already covered that." Jay brushed the wrought iron bench opposite her and sat down. Conversing with Mina in the moonlight that streamed through the windows was the most tranquil he had been all evening. He relaxed into the bench and crossed over his legs at the ankle while watching her eat indelicately.

Mina struggled to chew through the several oranges she had stuffed in her mouth. Why did I have to eat so much in one go? Oh, great now he is staring at me. Real attractive Mina! She lifted her hand to cover her mouth and watched the duke over her palm. He had stretched out displaying his long charcoal breeches encasing muscled calves and thighs, while his ebony coat that crossed at his chest tightened over his biceps. Why did he have to look like a debutants dream while she foraged in the dirt surrounded by orange peels? Mina gazed up at the sky through the ceiling and cursed her stars.

"How was your day?" Jay closed his eyes to the sound of her voice.

"Omph, I workphd in the kifhins," Mina garbled around masticated fruit.

"With Verushka?" He opened one eye curiously.

Mina nodded and gulped. "Yeah, at least in the morning. But then she had to go get ready for the ball."

Jay leaned forward with interest. "And what do you think about this whole affair?"

"Uh uh," Mina shook her head. "I don't get paid to think."

Jay's brow furrowed. "You don't get paid to sample your employer's stores either but you manage that just fine."

Mina scowled. "Well, fine. If you are going to be stingy like that. A girl gets hungry while she works!"

Jay's lips curled into a smile. "No, I don't mean it. I like nothing better than to see you satisfied with the little I can offer you, especially considering how similarly we met."

Mina's features softened hesitantly.

"I want to know what your honest opinion is, Mina. Surely this whole debacle must seem strange to you? Why would the Duchess of Bexley choose a maid such as Verushka to be my ward?"

Jay truly appeared disconcerted, and it pained Mina to have to conceal the truth from him. She knew it was out of the question to tell him that her friend was his sister. He deserved to be told the truth, but certainly not from her. "That seems like something you should ask the duchess or Ver."