Chapter 32 Part 2: A Queen's Command

Verushka heard the door behind her slam shut and turned sharply toward the intrusive noise.

There was still no sign of Liara or Mina. Classic, Verushka thought. When there was work to be done she was the only one stuck in the Pantry doing it. Despite the Duchess recently redirecting her work upstairs, the older woman had suddenly informed her that the Bexley's were having yet another dinner party and an extra pair of hands were needed in the kitchens that evening.

It had seemed a bit odd to her to be thrust back into the hard working environment of the Bexley kitchens but Madam Shiela didn't miss a beat by throwing her into the flow of the preparations. Despite being informed that Verushka was no longer a pantry maid she acted as if she had caught the maid shirking her duties for the last week.

"You and your two friends are the bane of my existence! It's time you worked for your living, young girl!" Madam Shiela had scolded before launching a dish in her direction, then making her clean it up. That tirade had only been the start of a full day of chores, ranging from dragging back armloads of vegetables from the markets to peeling buckets of potatoes, where she nicked herself with the blade and was sent to wash it off in the sink. Considering that Madam Shiela found her bleeding hand most inconvenient Verushka was instead made to wash dishes, where at least her leaking life force would not offend.

"Hi Verushka. How are you?" Mel sidled up to her new friend.

"Oh, hi Mel," Verushka snapped out of her thoughts to see Madam Shiela's favourite kitchen maid dressed once again in beautiful serving attire. Despite the chaos of the pantry, there was not one smear of grease or sprinkling of flour to mar her uniform. It was really quite miraculous, Verushka thought. "Serving again tonight?"

"Yes," Mel punctuated her affirmation with an enthusiastic grin. "I am so excited! I think Madam Shiela knows that last time went so well and asked me back." She paused trying to find the most polite way to continue. "I'm sorry that you weren't chosen again."

Verushka nodded commiserating. Mel really did look sorry that she wasn't going to be joined by her friend. She may not have been a favourite among the kitchen maids due to her exceptional work ethic, but she was still such a nice person. Verushka couldn't understand why Liara and Mel just didn't get along, although she supposed it had something to do with Liara once describing her as having 'all the personality of a brick wall.'

"Anyway," Mel continued perking up, "tomorrow morning I was wondering if you would like to come and meet Daniel's friend. Remember I told you about him? He is a footman too and you know how handsome footmen always are!"

Verushka rolled her eyes and continued to scrub her cloth into the burnt base of a pan. I have had my fill of handsome men, she thought of Cain's smug and perfect face. "Why are you always trying to set me up?"

"Because I like you! And, I want to see you happy and settled," Mel beamed. "Is it too much to ask that you come out with Daniel and me, and meet his friend Nic?"

"Oh... I don't think so, Mel," Verushka hedged. It wasn't as if she was opposed to meeting Nic, but her life was a haphazard obstacle course at present, and she did not think that a charming, handsome footman featured in the Duchess's plans for her.

"Pulease!" Mel whined with wide pleading brown eyes.

"Melissa!" A harsh voice barked from across the kitchen. "Come here and take these trays up to the Dining Hall." Madam Shiela did not look impressed that her protégé was fraternising with the dregs of the Bexley servants.

"I gotta go," Mel whispered contritely. "Just think about it, okay?"

Verushka made a gesture somewhere between a nod and a partial seizure, which Mel seemed to interpret as acquiescence. She stared down at Verushka's ineffectual washing with a frown. "You might want to boil some vinegar in that pan first." Sufficiently content that she had been of service, Mel hopped off to her duties again leaving Verushka to wonder at the healing properties of vinegar.