Chapter 15: An Unexpected Meeting

Scrape scrape scrape....

Verushka cleaned out each burnt frying pan in unhappy silence. How did she get stuck with doing the dishes again? Mina and Liara always joked that she couldn't wash them properly but really, was it fair that Madam Sheila made her do it till she got it right? At least Mel kept her company while her other two friends were probably off shirking work again. She really wished she was with them...

"So, I have this friend who is really nice. He is funny and kind and he -"

"He? ....... Mel?"

"Yeeeess........." she drawled innocently.

"Mel!" Verushka scolded

"What? You've got to get out there and meet people."

Verushka frowned. "I do meet people" she said quietly thinking of the Duke of Bexley on the street with her the other day. She smiled to herself.

Mel put her hand on her shoulder, "What was that?"

"What?" Verushka raised both eyebrows

"Don't 'what' me missy! I saw that smile- You've met someone!" Mel squealed with delight.

"Noooo. No I haven't. It's nothing." She replied in short staccato. There was no way she was sharing with Melisa her story about the Duke who was responsible for both of their jobs. She glanced over to the oven floor she had been nestled on with Cain. "No." she affirmed and went back to destroying the base of another pot.

Mel tapped her foot on the ground and wore a look on her face saying that she was not giving up. Verushka could feel herself weakening...

"Melisa Brady, I hope you are not wasting away your time." Madam Sheila's voice grated from behind the girls

"No, of course Madam. I have finished all my chores. Is there anything else you would like me to do?" Mel asked eager to please.

"Actually, I want you to take ov'r from Verushka. And you-" the Cook pointed at her "- you are wanted upstairs. Get."

Verushka could see the upstairs maid peeking out from behind the kitchen door and she couldn't stop her heart from beating uncontrollably. Unconsciously she let Mel move her away from the sink and wiped her soaking hands on her apron. She moved slowly to the door and looked back to Mel for encouragement; instead she saw the charred pot becoming increasing clean and sparkling beneath her friends scrubbing brush. How did she do that?

The upstairs maid coughed delicately. Madam Sheila grabbed Verushka's arm and practically threw her out the door and slammed it when she was only barely through to the other side.

The maid curtseyed at her and gestured for her to follow. Verushka didn't know if her Pied Piper was mute or just didn't speak to girls from beneath stairs, but either way silence filled the hallways they walked. They passed through areas of the house she had never seen before, the upper salons, the Victorian corridor whose imposing gilded columns made her feel so small, and the portrait gallery where she almost sensed she was being watched by all the old dukes and duchesses. She didn't know where she was headed but she was too afraid to ask. Before she knew it the maid had knocked on pastel painted ornate double doors and she was being ushered inside.

Her eyes were large, drinking in the sight of the Dowager Duchesses' private rooms. The morning light was streaming in from the right and refracting off the crystal vases filled with orchids and lilies that perched on every surface. There were two seating areas of pink and jade regency chairs, chaises and foot stools. But, behind a huge pale wooden desk engraved with the four flowers of England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland- was the Dowager duchess herself. She wore tiny gold spectacles on the bridge of her nose as she checked through piles of documents with a porcelain quill. Without looking up she indicated to the chairs closer to the windows with the end of her quill. Verushka wasn't sure what that meant, but she glanced at one of the duchess's maids who suggested she take a seat with the flourish of a hand.