Chapter 33 Part 2- Weaving a Ward

(PITP has once again fallen off the tower of the Hot List. Your author is sobbing quietly in the corner. Please vote to get Mina, Verushka and Liara storming up to seize the castle once more!)

Verushka was still standing with her mouth ajar when the Duchess clapped her hands together twice and the doors opened once more. A fleet of the Duchess's personal ladies maids entered and began preparations with the systematic execution of an army squadron. One moved swiftly into the adjacent chamber to draw a bath and heat the towels, another strode in with a beautiful silver gown and two more seized Verushka directly and began to divest her of her servant apparel.

Verushka's heart lept into her throat, obstructing any attempt at speech and she felt herself being dragged backwards towards the steaming tub of scented bubbles. To be fair, their ministrations made Madam Shiela's attempt at grooming her seem like brute savagery but the result was far more miraculous. Careful, methodical work saw her course skin softened and creamed, while her burnished hair gleamed once more of her golden hue from birth. They had brushed and clipped the curling mass of blonde hair into something that no longer resembled a cuckoo's nest, and finally presented her to the Duchess in a fluffy woollen robe, still damp and dazed.

The Duchess took a long look at the crude elements seated before her and simply nodded once.

That single nod began another long session as the sun made its way to sink across the sky. While her hair was styled and her dress pressed she was quizzed by a familiar maid on all the attending nobles and dignitaries invited to the party. They schooled her on correct protocol and procedure, grilling her like lamb in a rack for Christmas Eve banquet. At some point Verushka lost track of the hours, letting herself be pulled and prodded, fluffed and dressed while answering with rote precision.

"Aunt Augusta had a -?"

"Cat."

"Uncle Thomas was a-?

"Bureaucrat."

And on it went until her troop of dressmakers, advisors and perfumers stood around her in a semi-circle with assessing admiration. She couldn't understand how it could possibly take a whole day to prepare for a single event. However, when the sun hit the horizon she eventually gazed at her own incredulous reflection in the gilded mirror and ceased to doubt the transformative powers of her helpers. Glaring back at her with enormous grey Wyvernstone eyes was a young woman who looked every inch a lady. Frizzy ringlets were brushed into soft golden curls pinned up to frame her rounded cheeks. Somehow she now had two eyebrows that arched beautifully to accentuate the shape of her face, and lips that had always seemed too big, were now slightly rouged and lilting into a smile.

Her eyes panned down to an elegant silver dress of silk that tapered to emphasize her narrow waist, where full skirts flared out to sweep the floor. Intricate silver threads were weaved with delicate artistry throughout the shimmering garment, making it gleam like moonlight on a flowing river and a strip of similar ribbon, threaded through her ringlets to highlight the brilliance of her curls. If she did not stand directly before a mirror she would have doubted the woman in the glass.

A soft hand came to rest on her shoulder and Verushka turned around to meet the wise eyes of her mentor.

"You look so much like your mother," the Duchess whispered, tucking a stray ringlet behind Verushka's ear.

"Really?" she asked incredulously. She had to wonder how a maid managed such a feat.

"Well, she bathed more frequently than you," the Duchess remarked, reading her quizzical expression. She stepped back and cleared her throat lightly which scattered all her present staff from the room. When the door closed firmly she smiled at her protégée and led her to a low chair before a dressing table.