Chapter 35: Endgames Part 2

"I saw that," Cain whispered behind her left ear, before handing her a mallet and guiding her immediately to the opposite arena of the games course.

"Saw what?" Verushka's heart jumped as she turned to face the duke, clad in olive trousers and a jade waistcoat, fastened with gold cufflinks and pearlescent buttons that mocked the skin beneath. There was no denying that the trim lines and expensive cloth were cut expressly for him, but they did not match the ferocity in his eyes. Verushka maintained as innocent an expression as possible and looked passed the paisley cravat to the man she suspected crouched waiting within. She eyed him warily before accepting her mallet, if only as a possible means of defence.

A smile coaxed the corner of Cain's lips and he gave into the grin that followed. "The Marchioness of Derby seems quite taken with you, and I have it on excellent authority that she is never taken with anyone. It seems that you are falling into the role of a ward with rather more ease that I had imagined."

Verushka's brow furrowed. "Did you imagine that I would simply fall?"

Cain tilted his head in thought and assessed his maid with care. "Falter perhaps, but never fall."

"Hmmph," she huffed unimpressed in his direction before angling her mallet to thrust the opening ball laid out. With a gentle swing back and forth Verushka could feel the duke's eyes burn into her back, goading the fire in her own belly like a poker in coals. Her ball flew wide of its mark for the first time that afternoon and she watched it roll into a bunker as disloyal as a soldier in retreat.

"I think you will find that scowling at the instruments of the game will not help," Cain smirked quietly. "So, what exactly did you say to the Ice Queen to defrost her heart?"

Verushka turned to him, placing her hands on her hips in annoyance. "You will find that many people are enamoured of my company simply because I am a friendly person."

"Yet, you are not friendly to me," Cain countered smoothly.

"Well, no," she wavered, "but I surmise that is only because you and I have very different ideas about what constitutes 'friendly' behaviour."

It was Cain's turn to feign innocence. "I can't imagine what you mean, Miss Wyvernstone."

"Oh pulease," Verushka rolled her eyes. "I bet you were plenty 'friendly' with Zarina."

"Zarina?" he arched a brow in question.

"You heard me, mister," she bit back as she ploughed towards her wayward ball.

"Woah, woah," Cain reached for her hand as they slipped over the ridge, out of the sight of the rest of the assembled ton.

"Are you talking about the actress?" Cain remarked, intrigued. "How could you possibly know about her?" he turned Verushka back to face him with a flick of his wrist.

Verushka simply chose to glare at him in silent fury.

A grin crept over Cain's face as he recognised the delicious shade of jealousy that complemented her sage gown with its delicate scalloped trim. "Verushka, darling, don't let her worry you. I assure you that I have not reconciled with Zarina in some weeks now, since before we met."

Verushka huffed and twisted her arm free again with apparent ease. "I can't honestly say that I care who you choose to warm your bed." She tried to ignore the smirk on her ex-employers face as she focused on the trail of a heavy ball through a sandy ditch. "Ahah!" she exclaimed as she spotted the bright blue lacquer peeping out from under a hedge.

"Of course you don't, particularly since you turned down that opportunity yourself." Cain followed her as she hastened after her ball.

"Argh!" Verushka swung about enraged. "I have had it up to here with you," she barked indicating the level of her eyes. "What do you want from me? Is it a game to seduce the help, because you may as well stop since you won't succeed there." Her heart twinged a little at the pinch of a lie but she continued on. "Everyone, including your friend, Jacob has made the transition into welcoming me as a debutant but you still treat me as you always have- a servant." She didn't know what her brother had said to explain her sudden elevation to society but he assured her that the matter was dealt with.