Chapter 33 Part 1- Weaving a Ward

Sunlight streamed in through the lower windows of Wyvernstone Hall, falling warmly over the solid birch table that extended the length of the kitchen. The fields and gardens surrounding the impressive monolith were flush with the spring rain that had welcomed in England's summer sunshine. Verushka took a moment to enjoy the pretty landscape away from London's smog as she unpacked her basket of freshly cut vegetables, thankful that the trip from the garden patch was significantly shorter than her usual market trek.

It had been several days since her encounter with the Duchess of Wyvenstone and she considered herself lucky that the esteemed Dowager Duchess never ventured below stairs in her own house. Her days following their first meeting were filled with endless etiquette lessons, while her nights were crammed in her mother's office scouring through techniques on espionage. The Duchess of Bexley had left a carefully structured learning plan for Verushka. In fact, she had barely seen the trim of her employer's gown until the morning of her departure from the Bexley London townhouse.

Verushka knew that the inevitable day would have come before she was sufficiently prepared, but it had not fully registered that it was the last time she would be present in the pantry as a maid. It was still uncertain in what condition she would be returning, if at all. Within the space of half an hour on the brilliant sunny Sunday morning, she had been presented before the Duchess of Bexley and told to prepare for her imminent admission into the Wyvernstone country estate.

When she was supplied with a dress fitting that of a Duke's ward, Verushka had to stop the forward motion of the Duchess's plan. She had given the process a lot of thought and determined that the best way to discover the secrets of any home, lay with the servants. And, given that the Duchess of Wyvenstone was no ally of hers, she would require all the friends she could get within her household, before she was introduced as a debutant. So, with what appeared to be a few short moments, but was really hours of midnight planning, she convinced her employer to let her pose as a maid for a few days prior to the Annual Wyvernstone Ball. Even the Duchess of Bexley had to concede that when the 'truth' came out that she was Jacob's ward, the staff would simply look on her subterfuge as the mischievous games of bored young girl.

In reality, Verushka surmised that if she was thrust into a new home as a ward on day one, she would more than likely stumble in her role. She knew how to be a maid better than anything else, and even two days would be sufficient to gain the lay of the land and prepare her for the trials of the ton.

Her borrowed time was almost at its end, with the first of the gleaming, crest-bearing carriages already rolling into the courtyard with an array of nobility pouring forth. Verushka turned her thoughts away from her end game and back to the other maids at the table.

"It is so nice of the Duchess of Bexley to offer the help of her maids to the Wyvernstone's during the Ball," Anita, the eldest of the scullery maids noted kindly.

"Yes, I suppose," Verushka agreed with a smile. "The Bexley country home happens to be but ten miles from here, so I am sure it was not too much trouble."

"That's true," another portly maid took a seat and helped to wipe each fruit diligently before placing it on the table. "But, we all know that the Bexley Duchess has the best kitch'ns in Lundin and 'ere in Kent. Bet yer one of the best trained maids in the whole country, ai?"

Verushka laughed awkwardly and shifted her gaze. "Oh, I don't know about that Nettie."

"Nah, you must be!" Nettie enforced blindly.

"Well, anyway I hope I have been of some help these past few days," Verushka smiled again congenially. To be fair, she had only worked slightly harder than normal since she was supposed to be a ward, playing at being a servant. It wouldn't have been a convincing performance if she was actually an exceptional, docile maid. So, it was truly no act when she couldn't light the stove or she didn't know the correct manner to stack the firewood. Luckily Verushka always had the gift of making friends and the Wyvenstone house was no different. While she worked, she delved into the lives of the other servants with friendly fervour, listening with avid interest to their joys and woes until the two days had passed and she had a sizable proportion of the staff in her pocket.