Chapter 38 Part 2- The Royal Box

"Psst." The sound came from the opening of the alcove and Cain attempted to ignore it, already guessing its source.

"Psst." The odd hissing penetrated his thoughts again and he turned regretfully in its direction.

"Oi." Liara peeked out from the doorway, her head hanging over the edge. "Whattcha doing?"

"Knitting a garment," Cain sighed.

"Well to my humble eyes, it looks like you are making smoochy face with Zarina." Liara arched a sassy brow.

"I was not making...," Cain frowned deeply. "I wasn't."

"Could have fooled me." Liara countered with a wry grin. "What would Verushka say?"

That got Cain's attention and he gave her a look filled with paternal remonstrance. "I was working, Liara. Don't you ever work?" He rubbed his hand across his brow, massaging his temples.

"Hey, I think I worked pretty hard at your country party, while you were off gallivanting with the rest of the ton in their little games. Let's not forget that you couldn't even muster up the strength to attend your own engagement announcement."

Cain dropped his hand and looked at her sharply. "Verushka didn't tell you?"

Liara smiled devilishly and took one big stride into the alcove. "Tell me what?"

Cain diverted his eyes quickly, shifting his weight, no doubt in the effort to soon run away from his maid's interrogation. "Nothing that you need know about. I am just surprised she hasn't spoken about it with you."

"Well, we haven't spoken at all. Everything has been such a rush after Queen Victoria's pregnancy came out in the paper the morning after the ball, that we were all packed up and brought back to the city. To be honest, there hasn't been any time. All day was spent cleaning and baking with the influx of people coming in from all over the country, your mother has decided to give dinners and parties almost every night."

Cain walked forward, pinning Liara with a questioning stare. "Then, one would assume that you would have spoken with her seeing as you work together."

Liara rolled her eyes in exasperation. "Used to work together. You're forgetting that she is the Duke of Wyvernstone's ward now."

"Is that all she is, Liara?" Cain dragged a hand through his hair as he watched the maid squirm. "You are not a consummate courtesan yet to play such games. I know that she has been approached by the Director of Her Majesty's Secret Intelligence Service to assist in some capacity."

Liara's mouth hung open and in the dim corners of her mind she wished that she had remembered to brush her teeth.

"You know?! How do you know?" she spluttered flabbergasted.

"Come on, Li. You already know that I am an Agent. Did you really think that she could keep that secret from me?"

Liara bit her lip as she weighed her answer. "Weeell....... I guess I figured you were both independent Agents in a way." She stopped suddenly and poked him with one long broken nail. "This is exactly the reason that you have a problem with a rogue agent in the Service! Everyone knows everything and if you can't even keep the names of the people working for you a secret then you are not very good at secret-keeping! And, don't even bother asking me what Ver is doing for the Director, I won't betray her secrets for anyone."

Cain blinked a few times, digesting her words. "Perhaps you are right. It is the nature of our psyche and our work that we refuse to stop at a locked door without peering through the keyhole and finding a way in."