Chapter 42: Part 3- Locked Doors

Silence fell with a resounding thud and a globule of dough leaked from Mina's chin following it to the floor.

"Oh, don't let me stop you," Cain smirked quietly.

"Well, you see, we were just-," Mina quickly responded.

"I don't think you can judge just by-," Verushka added hastily.

"Enough." Cain's voice cut through the cacophony. He massaged his temples with his left hand and sighed wearily. "Let me be perfectly honest ladies, as much as I usually enjoy our interludes, I have had an exhausting evening and I only came down here for one thing."

"Did you want a snack?" Mina inquired with a note of concern. To some females an empty stomach was worse than death.

"No," Cain cracked a tired smile. "I came to speak with Verushka."

"Me?" Verushka squeaked as water continued to drip from her tendrils like a leaky faucet. Mina had thoroughly doused her, and while the former wore the better part of half a sack of flour, she was soaked to the bone with used dishwater.

"Yes, you my dear Miss Wyvernstone." Cain advanced with a sense of foreboding that dogged each measured step. "Did you think you would meet me in the Queen's sitting room and then go about your own way?"

"Umm...." Verushka's mouth hung open empty of words.

"It seems that you have led me on a merry dance, my dear." Cain loomed over her. His overcoat wore a fine sheen of dust that matched his usually well-shone black leather boots. Casual nonchalance was gone, replaced by the quivering of a taut violin string. A beautiful note when played with care, but a garrotte in deadly hands.

"Listen Cain, I can explain," Verushka started.

"Oh, I intend for you to do just that." Cain assured her in whispered tones laced with warning.

"Ah, hem." Mina cleared her throat loudly. "Maybe I should let you two sort this out, while I just duck out."

"No!"

"Yes."

Verushka and Cain answered in unison.

Mina hesitated at the window's sill, clearly debating if her friend truly required her assistance.

"Go Mina, and take Liara with you." Cain issued his order.

Verushka and Mina looked around the kitchen with the sudden recollection that their friend had mysteriously vanished once sticky substances had started to be thrown.

"Liara?" Verushka called tentatively. "Where is that girl?"

"Under the table," Cain answered with a long suffering sigh when not a sound was heard beneath the wooden top. "Liara. Out. Now."

"Urgh, fine!" Liara huffed and wiggled herself out from in between several stools with no small measure of difficulty. "But, don't think you can order me around Mr High and Mighty!" She brushed the remnants of the floor from her apron with swift angry palms.

"Don't you have an appraisal coming up with Mistress Veronique in a fortnight?" Cain questioned softly.

"Okay, okay, I'm going," Liara huffed and shuffled to the door. "You coming Mina?" She turned to the open window and found nothing but the cool evening breeze and rolled her eyes. "Typical."

The kitchen door swung shut and Cain's sea green gaze returned to Verushka.

"So, my dear, would you care to tell me what your performance today was all about?"