Chapter 30 -Part 2: A Woman's Prerogative

[Welcome back to the Bexley Manor! Did you enter via the chamber with the secret chapter? If not, if was just before this one. Just follow and refresh your library to get the key.  If you still can't find it then here is the link: https://www.wattpad.com/277196080-persuasion-in-the-pantry-maid-for-more-1-secret  ]  

Mina stood dejected in the bright light of the bustling street. "I didn't mean to tell her your name. I'm sorry Cap'."

Marco shook his head adamantly. "Don't be. Perhaps Dra'gaan was right about you. Already your navigation of London's derelict corners and street savvy has proved invaluable. You have managed to bring us to the doorstep of a woman whom I find both thoroughly repellent and surprisingly useful at the same time." He bestowed a charming grin on the young maid. "Ultimately, Mina, without you and your band of little sprites we would not have the address."

Mina's growing smile vanished. "You just had to ruin it. I'm not a sprite!"

"Urchin?" Marco raised a brow playfully.

"Argh! Let's just go. Dray walk is just near that new brewery so the assassin is not far from here. We can make it there in a couple of minutes if we run." Mina blew some hair off her face exasperated and took off down a side alley. She wasn't willing to let the address burn a hole in her already riddled clothes, while her lead went cold.

The narrow lanes of London's east allowed for little more than cramped skipping and Marco's long legs caught up with her before she gained true speed. He turned their stilted race into a one mile hurdle as they dodged boxes and barrels while he tried to grab at the tattered corners of Mina's sleeve. "What do you plan to do sprite, talk him to death? Just wait and listen to me!"

Mina paused in the space between two breaths to call out her answer. "You seem well acquainted with violence; so you punch and I'll ask the questions. Or, if you're too tired old man, we can do it the other way around."

"Old man?!" Marco growled as he watched her sprint again with renewed speed.

He kept her within sights as they took a hairpin turn, climbed a gutter and raced over two roofs before they slid into an old brewery vent dug into the brick wall. "You know I'm only eight and twenty, right?"

"Woah, that's old," Mina exclaimed. "The Duke I work for is at least two years younger than you."

"What are you, twelve?" he sneered. "And, which duke do you work for?" Marco added as an afterthought.

"Pfft, pulease. I'm four and twenty. And, I'm not going to tell you," Mina announced proudly.

"You're a spinster," Marco rewarded her secrecy with a chuckle.

Mina was about to give him an ear full when he suddenly clamped his hand over her mouth firmly with a deadly serious look in his eyes. "Sssh. I hear someone out there," he whispered, pushing her safely behind his large form and further into the vent.

Mina licked his palm.

"Urgh! What are you doing?! That is revolting," Marco pulled his hand back wiping Mina's trail of spittle on his coat in disgust.

"Don't 'sssh' me! I am not a child. And, it wasn't that pleasant for me either!" Mina argued in whispers before spitting out the grimy taste in her mouth.

"Oh, I almost forgot you are twenty-four, going on ninety," Marco replied archly. "Honestly, you remind me of my Abuela when you scowl."

Mina scowled in response. She didn't know who 'Abuela' was but it didn't sound complimentary.

"Abuela means grandmother," Marco winked before continuing to scan the area around them. He took in his surroundings with care, observing the foreign movement of shadows in the wind before tilting his face to the skies. He cleared this throat and performed a perfect imitation of a goshawk's rapid warning call, "Ki-ki-ki-ki... kreey-a!"